Chapter Fifty-Eight

ELLIE'S POV

Ellie: lolo

Ellie: lolooooooooo

Ellie: lololololololololololololoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ellie: fucking hell lauren answer your phone

Lauren: What? 

Ellie: hi to you too 

Lauren: Hello Ellie, the love of my life. I am so sorry I wasn't available at your beck and call, but I'm here to drop to my knees and grant your every wish

Ellie: a simple hello or hi or how's it going would have been just fine

Lauren: Demanding child. 

Ellie: can you teach me how to drive

Lauren: I guess 

Lauren: Wait

Lauren: No I can't 

Lauren: I'm not 25 babe

Ellie: but can't you just teach me

Lauren: The law says nope

Ellie: dumb law. i'll get grace to teach me

Lauren: Grace isn't 25 either believe it or not

Ellie: grace is cool, she'll still teach me

Lauren: Don't do stupid things Ellie, I dont want you to lose your licence or your life or get grounded by your mother for eternity because then you wouldn't be able to come see me :(

Before I could respond, the slamming of a door reminded me that Sam was being dropped off by Marissa who had taken her from school to her psychologist appointment while Grace and I drove in her beaten up sedan. Demi was busy at a meeting and was annoyed that her management wouldn't let her get away in time to pick us up, but we all assured her that we would be okay.  Throwing my phone down on my bed, I walked out to the hallway only to catch Sam running into her bedroom, her door slamming for a second time. Her screaming cries made my heart break into a million pieces, and before I knew it, Grace had exited her room and Marissa made her way up the stairs — the three of us looked at each other, all equally confused. 

"What happened?" I questioned Marissa. "Why is she upset?"

"I don't know," she shrugged in response. "She didn't want to cooperate at her appointment with Aubrey, and then when we got home and I was looking for my key, she decided I was taking too long, hit me and started screaming until I unlocked the door."

"She hit you?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "She doesn't usually hit unless she's really upset."

"I asked her what was wrong in the car, but she told me to shut up." Marissa sighed, looking at her door, concerned. Sam's cries still pierced through the entire house. "Maybe you should talk to her."

"Yeah, I will."

I slowly went up to my little sister's door, opening it just wide enough so that I could fit through before closing it behind me again. Sam was rocking back and forth on the ground, her knees curled up into her chest as her eyes never even looked up at me. 

"Sammy? What's wrong?" I began, but she only whimpered as I got closer. 

"Stop!"

"What happened today? Why are you upset?" I persisted, wanting to get to the bottom of what was bothering her. "Was someone mean at school? Did someone say something?"

"Shut up Ellie!"

"Sam, you know it's rude to tell people to shut up."

Her rocking only intensified as she rubbed her hands up and down her legs furiously, clearly very distressed. I inched my way closer to my sister and placed my hand on her shoulder, to which she nearly jumped out of her own skin and shoved me away, crawling into the corner and resuming her curled up position.