Chapter Thirty-Six

ELLIE'S POV

History was bound to repeat itself in life — that I knew. Whether it be for scientific reasons or just because it's in a certain person's nature, in my fifteen years of life I had always found the saying to be true. Having this knowledge, it shouldn't have surprised me that Demi had started to go back to her old habits of going out without telling me, leaving me at home alone with nothing but an empty house. It had been nearly four months since she had promised me she would never do it again, but here she was, breaking her promises as usual. The only people she ever seemed to care about anymore were Sam and Wilmer.

Wilmer had been away since the end of January shooting for a movie he was in, meaning that none of us had seen him for a few months. We all missed having him around the house, especially Demi, who was on the phone to him so often that she never had time to even say hello to me anymore. Eating dinner as a family had stopped, with her and Sam often getting food on their way home with nothing but a text from Demi telling me to order in pizza or something of the sorts for myself. Quite frankly, I was growing tired of it. Okay, my mother had a lot on her plate at the moment, with deadlines and writing her new album, but I thought that maybe I might have been important to her. I guess I was wrong. 

I was ecstatic when Demi had finally caught onto my sour mood and had declared that we would have a movie night later that night. Things were finally looking like we'd be able to spend some time together when she was the one to pick me up from school, not Dallas, Dianna or Marissa, something that hadn't happened in a considerable amount of time. I had hope in bundles and was even beginning to grow excited for the event. 

My hopes were shot down as soon as we arrived home and Wilmer stood in the doorway though, because I knew that it meant Demi would want to go out on a date night instead of staying in and watch a few movies. My suspicions were confirmed when I walked into my mother's bedroom, watching her stand in front of her mirror as she adjusted a necklace around her neck.

"What movie do you wanna watch tonight?" I asked, hoping and praying that my thoughts were wrong and that she hadn't let me down.

"Sorry, Ellie, it looks like you and Sam are gonna watch something alone, I  —" 

"Mom! You promised that we'd have a movie night tonight!" I protested, folding my arms over my chest, wondering if I could change her mind.

"I know Ellie, but I haven't seen Wilmer in months, and I miss him. "

"We all miss him! None of us have seen him in months Mom! Can't we all spend time together, Wilmer included?"

"I promise we'll have a movie night another night." Demi turned to me, trying to compromise.

"You always promise, but then you break them! Why can't you just stick to your word?!" I grew more and more frustrated, my hands balling into fists at my sides as I forced the words out of my mouth, my temples pulsating with anger. 

"Ellie just calm down alright? Yelling isn't going to get us shit." Demi tried to reason with me, but I wasn't having any of it. "Invite Maddie over if you want. Or one of your friends from school. You can still have a movie night, just not with me."

"Fine! I will."

"Don't take that tone with me."

"Whatever Mom. Don't fucking make promises if you aren't going to keep them!"

I stormed up the stairs, slamming the door behind me and locking it. Stupid Demi and Wilmer. I just wanted to spend the night with my Mom; of course, Wilmer came first. Deciding to see if she wanted to come over, I reached for my phone and pressed on Grace's contact, letting it ring a few times before she picked up. The reception was crackly, but not so bad that I couldn't hear my friend on the other line.