Chapter Twenty-Three

ELLIE'S POV

"Ellie? What's the matter baby girl? You look sick." Demi entered the room and took a seat on the edge of my bed as I wreathed around in excruciating pain originating from my stomach.

I could only groan in response as I pointed to my stomach, forcing out a few choice words about periods and how I never chose to be a girl.

"Oh baby, have you taken some Advil?" Demi asked, to which I nodded.

"Momma it's so bad," I complained. "I have to go through this every fucking month!"

Watching as Demi frowned, she quickly forced her body between myself and the wall, laying a hand on my stomach before taking it away in shock. She then moved her hand up to my forehead and shook her head sadly.

"Are you sure you aren't sick El? You've got a fever." My mother held her hand on my skin for a moment, a look of concern gracing her features. 

"I get really hot on my period. I don't know why." I assured her. "It's happened ever since I started my period."

Frowning, my mother's hand made its way back to my bare stomach as she massaged out all the knots that had formed from me tensing my muscles. At first, it was unpleasant but it soon became better as the pain never fully went away, but lowered dramatically. I felt a few hot tears run down the side of my face and drop down onto Demi's chest.

"Do you want me to call Wilmer to get him to bring home a heat pack or something on his way home?"

I shook my head. "It won't help."

I heard the woman beside me sigh as she continued massaging my stomach, forcing my shoulders down from my neck so that I could relax. I felt her lips press against my temple gently and I practically melted into my mother's hold, missing the affection I so desparately craved. 

"Momma," I whispered quietly, my voice hoarse. "Can I stay home with you today?"

Demi immediately nodded. "I don't want you going to school if you're in this much pain baby. Do you wanna come with me to go drop Sam off at school, or do you want to stay home?"

I felt my breath hitch in my throat at the sheer thought of being left at home alone. Kelsey, Demi's assistant, usually didn't get to our house until ten, Wilmer was already at work on set, meaning the whole house would be empty except for me. Anything could happen while I was alone.

"Ellie?"

"I'll come with you. " I replied almost immediately, earning an inquisitive glance from Demi. 

"Are you sure? You don't have to —"

"Please? I want to go with you, I don't wanna be alone."

The movement of my mother's head nodding from beside me calmed my nerves as she sat up slowly, rising to her feet. She grabbed my fluffy robe from my closet and bought it over to me, sliding it onto my arms before tying it around my waist to secure it. I felt guilty for making Demi think she had to dress me, but she didn't seem to mind all too much. She knew I was in pain and didn't want to make it worse for me. 

As I forced my feet into my ugg boots, I felt my body being lifted up and placed on Demi's hip, just like how I carried Sam. I kicked my legs slightly and fought against her surprisingly strong hold but she refused to budge as she walked down the stairs to meet Sam in the dining room.

"Mom put me down. I'm gonna hurt you, I'm really heavy." I protested, earning a death glare from Demi.

"Don't say that Ellie, you're not heavy at all. If I want to carry my baby girl, I'm going to do it." Demi said, her eyes holding a look of seriousness as she held her gaze with me for a few seconds before turning to Sam with a smile. 

"Ready to go Sam?"

Sam nodded, syrup from the pancakes she had eaten all over her face as she smiled up at both of us, scrunching her nose up. "I weady!"

"Yeah, you might wanna clean your face before going to school princess."

"Fiiiinnnneeeee!"

SAM'S POV

As soon as I got to my classroom, the loud voices coming from all the other kids and the scratchy feeling of my clothes and the smell of the sand all became too much too quickly. I felt trapped inside my own body as I couldn't ask Carrie to help me, I couldn't ask to go home — the butterflies in my tummy made me stay quiet. 

Carrie seemed to catch on to the fact that I was upset as she came over to me and grabbed my hand, walking me into her little office in our classroom where it was nice and quiet. She pulled out a seat for me to sit on and sat across from me, staring at me intently.

"Samantha, I promise you this is a safe place. No one is going to hurt you here, especially not me. If someone is being mean to you, I need you to tell me okay?" Carrie said softly as I avoided her eyes. 

I didn't know why I couldn't talk at school, I was just always so scared of everything. But right now, in the quiet room with Carrie, I felt as though I might be able to force out a few words. Carrie was always nice to me, and even though I was scared of most new people, I knew now that not everyone was bad and I should give everyone at least one chance. 

"I'm scared. And my clothes hurt. And it loud!" I felt my bottom lip quiver as tears sprung to my eyes, rolling down my cheeks quickly. 

"Are you scared or overwhelmed sweetie?"

I tilted my head in confusion at my teacher. What did overwhelmed mean? 

"I don't know what dat means." I said worriedly, nervous that I might get in trouble for not knowing.

"That's okay, it's a pretty big word. Overwhelmed is when it feels like there's so much going on around you that it becomes a bit too much. Like you're being smothered."

"Oh." I nodded. "I think dat's what I feel. I don't like it."

"It's not a good feeling." Carrie nodded. "You said that your clothes hurt?"

I quickly used my scratchy sleeve to wipe my eyes of my tears and pointed to the woollen jacket on my arms. "It hurts. It's all rough and itchy."

Carrie smiled sadly. "You can take it off if you want."

I quickly shook my head, panicked. "I have owies from when my old daddy hurt me. The other kids will laugh at me."

"It's okay Samantha, if anyone laughs at you, come and tell me okay?"

I slowly slid my jacket off of my body and placed it in my school bag, making sure to keep it separate from the water bottle in case it leaked. I looked back up to see Carrie staring at me with the biggest smile on her face, making me smile shyly back at her. 

"I'm so proud of you." Carrie began. "This is the first time you've ever spoken to me!"

I nodded excitedly, before frowning again. "I don't know if I'll be able to talk to anyone else Carrie."

"That's okay, we'll take little steps at a time, yeah? Come on, how about we try and find something for you to do, and maybe even someone for you to play with."

Carrie slid her hand into mine as I placed my bag back on my back and we walked out of the office together. For the first time since I had started school, I felt ready to face the day. I felt like I might actually be able to get through the day without breaking down into tears.

That was something to be proud of.