Chapter Forty-Seven

ELLIE'S POV

"Thank you for coming back in, Demi, I know it's hard with your schedule." Aubrey began, speaking to my mother while shaking her hand firmly.

Demi and I had managed to get back to the psychiatrist's office in one piece, my driving turning out to not be so bad after all. She had been impressed by my good judgement and had agreed that she would let me drive around as much as possible so that I could get my 50 hours up by the time I was 16 for my restricted licence, something I was very excited for. My restricted licence meant more freedom, and more freedom meant more time to do things I enjoy.

"And I'm glad you're here too Ellie. A lot of young people don't come to hear me discuss things with their families, and it doesn't do anything but make them resent what's going on for them because it's not explained to them properly." Aubrey directed me to a seat across from her and beside Demi and Sam, a gentle and friendly expression on her face. "Did you have fun with your Mom?"

"I did," I smiled softly. "I actually went and got my learners permit."

"Oh wow! Well done!" Aubrey looked genuinely interested and excited for me, making me appreciate her even more than I already did, her constant effort to make sure I knew she cared one that didnt go unnoticed.

After we all took our seats, Sam climbed onto my lap and rested her head up upon my chest, her eyes tiredly fighting to stay open. I gently ran my fingers through her hair, whispering in her ear that she could sleep if she wanted to. She looked at me with the most grateful look I had ever seen on a four-year-old's face as she slowly drifted off, her breathing gradually evening out against me.

"Okay, so I suppose we'll start with Sam as I have her notes on top." Aubrey began, picking up a stack of papers in her hand as she started reading from them.

"Many children with autism really struggle with eye contact, yet Sam surprised me with her ability to look me in the eye every time she was speaking. She did have trouble maintaining the eye contact while I was speaking to her however, but it wasnt too concerning on a professional standpoint -- it could be boiled down to distractions or a short attention span. That being said, when I asked Sam to demonstrate the relationships in her family, she also had no issues, however when the topic of peers and more social relationships were bought up, she really struggled to define what exactly a friend was, and mentioned that she never had really had any real friends."

"She keeps to herself at pre-k," Demi nodded, her head bobbing up and down. "She's never come home and told me that she did something with someone or played with anyone."

The conversation between Demi and Aubrey went back and forth, different topics being discussed. After about twenty minutes, the words that set the nail in the coffin were spoken, and I physically felt my mother let out a sigh of relief as she heard the news.

"After all of the assessments and information gathered, I have determined that Sam does in fact have Autism Spectrum Disorder."

My mother's hand found mine as her fingers laced between mine. As I glanced over at her, the tears of happiness were evident in her eyes -- finally, Sam would have support. She wouldn't have to live having no reasoning behind why certain things were so challenging for her, she wouldn't live her life in a state of self hatred, fueled by something she couldn't control. 

"She's going to get accommodations now right? This is going to help her, not hinder?" Demi asked, uncertain as to where exactly to go from here.

"Of course. I'll be working closely with Sam's school to make sure she's getting the support she needs, and t
that will hopefully allow her to reach her full potential. Sam is a very bright girl, and I hope she embraces this as a strength, rather than a weakness."

Aubrey handed a folder over to my mother and I watched as it was slipped into Demi's purse before everyone's attention was shifted over to me.

"As for Ellie, it's a lot more straight forward. I believe she's suffering from depression and an anxiety disorder."

"I expected as such," Demi said sadly. She looked disappointed.

"I-I'm sorry." I choked out, my chest tightening in guilt. "I'm sorry that I'm so messed up."

"Baby girl," Demi breathed, her thumb trailing up and down my hand as she attempted to comfort me. "You aren't messed up, I promise you. No matter what you're going through, I'll still love you, because you're Ellie. Because you're my daughter."

As Demi and Aubrey discussed medications and other treatment related things, all I could think about was how much I couldn't believe my mothers words. Nobody could ever really love me.

If they really loved me, they wouldn't leave me.

Sorry for the short update!! I just started a new school year and aghhhhhhhhh I'm already 76% of the way to a mental breakdown but oh well 😂

I'll try and update again super soon!

Izzy xo