Chapter Sixty-Six

ELLIE'S POV

I don't remember much of the day I got admitted to the hospital. All I remember is being terrified when I got forced into a wheelchair, my mom carrying me, and after that, it was all a bit fuzzy. After I got moved to the ICU and I actually regained consciousness, my mom and Dianna both stayed with me, with Grace and Sam popping in a few times. Grace had volunteered to look after Sam while they were at the hospital, but after nearly six hours of Sam duty, Dianna forced mom out for some food with Sam and left Grace and I alone in my hospital room.

"How do you manage to have the worst possible luck, Elle?" Grace asked, her voice quiet as she refused to even look at me. I blearily followed her eyes to see her staring out the window, her eyes glossed over as she bit down on her lip.

"Gray," The nickname caused her to finally look at me, tears cascading over her cheeks as she tried yet failed to stop them. "No, Gray, don't cry."

"I'm sorry," Grace furiously wiped away her tears with the bottom of her shirt. "I shouldn't be the one crying. You're the one hooked up to a million IV's right now."

"No be sorry," I told her, trying to be as clear as possible despite the fact that my voice was scratchy and my mental state was currently compromised by illness and drugs. "I have two sticky things. One, two! See."

Grace chuckled through her tears as I pointed in the general direction of my arm, glancing up at me with a playfully exasperated look on her face. "You fucking suck."

"Nooooo." I whined. "'ove me."

"Yeah," Grace's voice was quieter this time, but I could still hear her despite the fact that the machines were all beeping violently in my ears. "Yeah, I do. Don't doubt that — you're my best friend"

The sensation of something vibrating beside me caused me to groan childishly as I pat the bed down, only to pick up a phone which I quickly identified as Demi's. Squinting at the screen and reading Lauren's name, I quickly slid the answer button across the screen and put the phone to my ear.

"Lo!" I answered as enthusiastically as I could, hearing a sniffle on the other end of the line as I grew worried about my friend. "Lolo, what's wrong? Don't be sad, sad bad. Sad and bad rhyme." 

"Ellie?"

"Duhhhh, it's Ellie. Momma Demi left her phone in here like a dumb-dumb."

"You asshole! I — I was so fucking worried and you weren't answering your phone and I saw Demi's tweet and no one was answering! I texted you both a million times! I even texted Grace! What the fuck happened to you?! Are you alright?!"

"Lo, slow. Head hurts," I couldn't blame the girl for being worried. "Grace, talk to Lolo, please. She's anr-angry at me."

Grace stood up and took the phone off of me, tapping the speaker button as I rested my head on the pillow behind me, closing my eyes to block out the excess stimuli that were making my head hurt even more. 

"Hey Lauren," Grace greeted the girl, who didn't seem to be having a good day at all. 

"What's going on?! No one will tell me a fucking thing! the girls and I have been trying to call you all and text you all and no one's fucking replying!"

"We're at Cedar Sinai in the ICU. Ellie's has sepsis and fell into septic shock about at like 10am, but she got stabilized and now she's being monitored every ten minutes."

"Shit!" Rustling could be heard on the other end of the line as a few more curse words could be heard, before a loud and sharp yell sounded out. "Guys! We have to go to the hospital now! —  I don't fucking care if you think I'm not in a fit state to drive, Ally, you drive like a grandma!"