Chapter Twenty-Eight

ELLIE'S POV

It was the lunch break on Monday afternoon, and Maddie had stayed true to her word with staying with me all weekend. She even had Dianna come and cook us dinner last night which had been better than Dallas's attempt the night before. Admittedly, at least Dallas's food was edible. Demi serves poison when she tries to cook. Grace and I were on our way to the caf — well at least I was — when the idea of going out for lunch struck me.

"Grace, let's go eat lunch at the cafe down the road today!" I exclaimed, tugging on her arm roughly. "The caf is so boring! And you never stay with me! Leon's cool, but you're my best friend."

Grace shook her head with a chuckle. "Fuck, you're annoying."

"I know." I grinned widely. "Please, can we go?!"

"Lovato —"

"If you don't go with me I'll baby talk to you for the rest of time!" I threatened, knowing how much Grace hated it. She snapped her head towards me and rolled her eyes, leaning up against the lockers while crossing her arms across her chest with a challenging expression.

"Do it and I'll murder you."

"Pwease Gwace!?" I begged, putting my baby voice on and shoving my lip out into a pout.

"Piss off." Grace turned her head away from me in defiance, but I simply moved over onto her other side I had eye contact with her again.

"But Gwacie!"

Grace stared at me, absolutely dumbfounded. "You know what — fine. Just so you know, you're literally going to  drive me insane one day."

"I can live with that." I grinned, returning to my normal voice as I grabbed Grace's arm and pulled her to the parking lot where we would be able to sneak out from.

After debating whether or not we would drive in Grace's car to the cafe or walk there, I gave in and walked alongside Grace who was still very disgruntled that I had made her go to the cafe with me.

"I can't believe you, Lovato." Grace said playfully, brushing a piece of dark hair out of her face.

"Start believing it."

Grace groaned as we approached the cafe, grabbing my hand and pulling me back with a begging look. "Do you really have to eat here? It's full of kids from school!"

"So's the caf," I stated simply, earning a hard glare from the teenager. "Are you ever gonna tell me why you hate being in the caf?"

"No."

"Well then yes, we have to eat here. Come on, lunch is on me."

As Grace and I walked in, it was obvious that the staff working were well accustomed to having students from the high school come in to eat lunch as we were smiled at and served as soon as we approached the counter. Given the number of kids in here, you'd think they'd be overwhelmed, but they had it all under control.

I ordered an iced coffee and a bowl of pasta each for Grace and I, paying the total of $14.95 for the two of us. Grace kept trying to get me not to pay for her but I didn't mind — I know what it's like to grow up without a lot of money, which is why I treated Grace whenever we went out together. She deserved it for being as amazing as she is.

The pair of us found a table by the window of the cafe, my stupid brain not realising that as a celebrity's daughter, the worst place to sit. Before we could even get our coffees, the sounds of cameras clicking and people yelling and tapping on the window filled my ears as I covered my face and groaned. I quickly walked over to the other side of the table and helped her collect her things so that we could sit in a quieter, more private area of the cafe.