Chapter Forty

ELLIE'S POV

I was sitting upstairs in my room, Marissa being the only other person occupying the house. She had been around a lot more ever since she walked in on me hurting myself, meaning that I was alone a lot less. I'm sure she thought that her being with me meant that I wouldn't be able to do any more harm to myself, but she didn't know that I had more blades hidden in places that she wouldn't ever think to look. It had been nice though, having her around — it made me less lonely.

I was just minding my own business before I was ripped out of my own thoughts by the sound of the front door slamming shut and heavy footsteps storming around the house. In my shocked and terrified state, I backed into the corner where my bed met the wall and tucked my knees into my chest, trying desparately to keep my breathing steady and even. I had no idea who had gotten into the house, I didn't know if it was someone I knew or if It was an intruder — either way, I was scared. My door was halfway shut, and when the footsteps passed my room, the angle I was sitting at left me unable to see who was there. 

I made sure I kept quiet and tried my hardest to not bring any unwanted attention to myself, before the door squeaked and Marissa poked her head into my room, a pissed expression forming to her face when she saw the fear on my own.

"For fuck's sake Wilmer, can you calm down! You're scaring Ellie!" Marissa called out down the hallway before coming back into my room, ready to comfort me. 

My fear instantly vanished as I heard the name Wilmer, knowing now that it wasn't someone who was robbing the house or had intentions to kill me. I swung my legs onto the ground and pushed past Marissa, walking towards Demi's room where Wilmer was collecting things and shoving them angrily into a suitcase which he had pulled out from under the bed. 

"W-Wilmer?" I asked gently, causing his head to snap back towards me, the angry expression quickly fading into one of guilt.

"Nena, I'm sorry," Wilmer spoke softer, contrary to the loud noise coming from him only moments ago. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's o-okay. I thought you were someone coming to hurt me." I said the last part under my breath as a small cry escaped my lips, but Wilmer still managed to hear as he dropped what was in his hands and came over to me, hugging me tightly. I melted into his arms, missing his strong, protective hold.

"Shh," Wilmer soothed, rocking me back and forth as he picked me up off of the ground and held me in his arms, my legs wrapped around his body.  "It's okay, Nena, It's okay."

"I haven't seen you in so long Wilmer."

Wilmer nodded, something about the way he didn't respond right away bringing me on edge. 

"What's happening? Why haven't you been around?" I asked, staring right at him in order to get a response faster. I missed him. I missed him so much. He made me feel so safe, and I knew that when he was there no one could hurt me, or Sam, or Demi. 

"Ellie, I — Things aren't working out with your Mom and I — they haven't been for a while. We've decided it's best if we take some time apart from each other —"

"Haven't you already done that?!" I exclaimed angrily, crossing my arms over my chest. By the look on Wilmer's face, It was clear my mini-tantrum wasn't enough to change their minds.

"This isn't forever. I still love your mother so much Ellie — so much — but if we keep doing this, it's only going to hurt us more." Wilmer's eyes glazed over as tears filled mine. "I love you."

"Please," I begged. "Please just try and make it work."

"We've been trying too hard for too long, Nena. It's doing more harm than good. I'm still here whenever you need me Ellie — I mean it. Nothing has changed between you and me. Or Sam and I. We just need a break." As he finished his sentence, he placed me down on the ground and picked his suitcase back up, putting a few of his last possessions into it before kissing me on the forehead, heading out the bedroom door.

"Wilmer, please, no," I cried, running my forearm across my face to dry the tears rolling down my cheeks. "Please don't leave."

"I'm sorry, Nena."

As I arrived at school the weekend after Grace and I's fight, I expected to be completely alone all day. I expected Leon to take Grace's side and for him to shun me, and for Grace to ignore me, but what I received was completely different.

"Elle, I'm so so sorry." I was attacked from behind with a pair of thin arms wrapping themselves around me, the scent instantly being recognisable as Grace. "It was my fault, I shouldn't have flipped out on you like that."

I turned around to face my best friend her arms finally making their way all the way around me as I dug my head into her shoulder, hugging her back. 

"Grace, you really messed up," I said quietly, meeting her eyes. As much as I was glad to have her back, she had no idea how much she hurt me. 

"I know —"

"No, you don't Grace. You don't know.  I spent all weekend crying because I was convinced that you would hate me for the rest of my life. You're my best friend, you can't toss around the 'fuck you's' or that you don't want my sorry's. I'm one person. forgive me if I get distracted."

"You don't have to forgive me, but please just believe that I'm really sorry. I was stupid, I should have listened to you. I should have given you space."

"Don't be stupid Grace, of course, I forgive you. Just please don't do it again."

As Grace and I walked to class together, I let out a sigh of relief. I had my best friend back, and everything was right with the world once again. The rest of the day passed like it normally would, although my mind was on what I had said only a few days prior. 

"So is fucking starving yourself, but you don't see me running around being a tattletale, do you?"

Was it wrong to think that there was something wrong with Grace? Should I be a 'tattletale' and tell someone so that she can get help? There was no point in being a hypocrite if I wasn't even sure that she wasn't just feeling sick every time I've been out to eat with her — I couldn't make assumptions. But there were too many signs. Too many clues pointing toward the worst possible scenario. And as much as I wanted to deny it, deep down, I knew.

Grace had an eating disorder. 

Now I just had to confront her about it. 

THIS! IS! SO! BAD! BUT! THE! NEXT! CHAPTER! WILL! BE! BETTER! I! PROMISE!

also @Unbreakablelovatohas to update for me to update the next chapter so everyone message her  😂😂😂

izzy xo