Chapter Thirty-Nine

A few weeks had passed, and I found myself in the middle of my math lesson, I felt my phone vibrate as I clicked it on and unlocked it to view my notification. I saw that someone had DM'd me on twitter, so I opened the app to view the message. I didn't expect more than one of my mom's fans messaging me but was surprised to see someone else messaging me instead.

LaurenJauregui: Hey, it's Lauren. this is Demi's daughter, Ellie, right?

Lauren Jauregui — Member of Fifth Harmony. Normally, I wouldn't reply, busy seeing as though she was a celebrity and not a crazy fan likely asking me for tickets to a show, I decided to reply.

Elliel02: Yeah, that's me. Are you having trouble reaching her?

LaurenJauregui: No, it's not about Demi at all actually. I was just messaging you to check in and see how you're going. I was the person to come up to you at the West Hollywood Gateway after Nick was taken to hospital — I'm not sure if you remember me.

Elliel02: Oh, really? I remember you. I'm doing okay now, Nick is healthy and out of hospital thankfully. Thank you so much for everything — I really appreciate it.

LaurenJauregui: Of course! No need to thank me. I could see how fucking terrified you were — It broke my heart. I was thinking — did you wanna go out for some coffee one day?

Elliel02: Sounds like fun. I'm still at school though, so It'll have to be after 3. Is that alright?

LaurenJauregui: Absolutely. I can even pick you up if that'd be easier for you?

Lauren and I kept speaking for a while, getting to know each other before the bell rang and I quickly said goodbye and rushed to my new English class, which had been going great for the last few months. I took my usual seat next to Maddie, who looked happy to see me as she fist-bumped me, grinning widely.

"Ellie, look at the grade I got!" Maddie handed her paper to me proudly, her face lit up.

"Maddie this is awesome!" I was impressed with her mark of 90, and I figured I was probably away when we took the test because I didn't even remember taking it. "An A-?"

"Yeah!" Maddie was very pleased with herself, causing me to smile at her giddiness.

As I went to pull my English book out of my bookbag, I heard my name being called at the front of the classroom. Mrs Barnes, my new English teacher, was looking over at me with a small smile as she beckoned for me to come to her. I stood up out of my seat and went over to her, taking a seat in front of her desk where she had pointed to.

"Morning Ellie," Mrs Barnes greeted, a sheet of paper in her hand as she spoke. "I just wanted to discuss your grade from the test you all recently took. I've been handing them out and talking to individual people who I needed to have a discussion with."

Before I could say anything else, Mrs Barnes handed me a white sheet of smooth paper. I scanned the paper for where my grade would sit before I found it sitting in the top right corner, scribbled in red ink.

D.

68%.

"Was there something you didn't understand Ellie? You've been going amazingly in this class ever since you started taking it. It's okay if this is a one-time thing, but I want to help make sure it doesn't happen again. You're a bright student Ellie, one with buckets of potential." Mrs Barnes had a look of concern on her face as she stared at my bewildered expression.

"I don't even remember taking this," I muttered.

"We only took it on Monday." Mrs Barnes replied. "It wasn't long ago at all. Surely you remember."