Chapter Sixty-Five

DEMI'S POV

Some days, you just know that something is going to go wrong. You just have a feeling from the moment you open your eyes that the universe is against you that day, or perhaps God is trying to teach you a lesson, either to learn or as karma for wrongdoing in the past. I had had my fair share of being thrown into unlucky situations, but at the same time, I also had gotten millions of blessings since the day I was born. It was clear that someone had been looking after me from the second I was bought into the world, yet sometimes it felt like the world was closing in around me. I didn't know it yet, but today was going to test just how much I was going to be able to handle.

It started out like any other regular Saturday, with Sam waking me up at 8:45 to tell me that she was hungry. As I got out of bed and carried Sam on my hip to the kitchen, I couldn't help but notice the feeling that something bad was going to happen, bubbling up in my stomach. Putting it down to me just having a bad day, I decided to just push it to the back of my mind for the time being, hoping that I could find a distraction throughout the day. 

"What should I make for breakfast Sammy?" I asked the dark-haired girl who was still on my hip. 

"Blueberry pancakes because that's what my tummy wants," Sam replied as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "Should I wake up Ellie and Grace while you make me blueberry pancakes?"

"I'm making everyone blueberry pancakes baby," I chuckled to myself, kissing Sam's head gently. "Waking teenagers is a dangerous game, but you're cute so you can get away with it. Don't wake up Ellie yet, but you can go and wake up Grace if you want."

With a happy squeal and a flap of the hands, Sam wiggled out of my hold and ran back up the stairs towards Grace's room, leaving me to get out what I needed to start making breakfast. I thought about Ellie, who had been up half of the night coughing violently while I laid with her in her bedroom before she finally managed to get some shut-eye only a few hours ago. I felt bad for the girl who was absolutely miserable being sick, but she couldn't stay sick for much longer now — she had already been sick for nearly two weeks.

Setting out some blueberries and pancake mix, I began making breakfast when I heard Sam running back down the stairs — this time though, she seemed panicked as she called my name.

"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" She called, making me worry instantaneously. "Grace is bleeding!"

"What?!"

Racing up the stairs, I ran up into Grace's room with my heart racing, terrified as to what would face me on the other side of the door. Panicking, I pushed it open anyway, faced with the sight of Grace's blood-covered face. It was hard to tell where exactly the bleeding had originated from, making me panic even more.

"Holy shit, Grace!" I exclaimed, running up to the girl to examine her and try to help. "What happened?!"

"I sat up and blood came gushing out of my nose," Grace shrugged, not seeming to be very concerned in comparison to me, who was freaking out. "It's just a nose bleed, Demi."

"But —"

"Just a nose bleed."

". . . fine. At least sit down for a second."

"Can do."

As I dealt with Grace's nose bleed which cleared up within a few minutes, part of me wondered if this was why I woke up feeling as though something was going to go wrong today. Grace quickly washed her face after the bleeding had stopped before the two of us walked downstairs together, Grace laughing gently to herself.

"Why were you so panicked over a nosebleed?" 

"Sam came running in saying you were bleeding!" I exclaimed as if it were obvious. "I thought you were like, dying!"