Chapter Nineteen

SAM'S POV

I woke up the morning of Christmas Day, excited for holiday. I wasn't exactly sure what Christmas was about, but I was gonna see Grandma and Grandpa and Aunt Dally and Aunt Madmad and Marissa and Kelsey and everyone!

I crawled out of my bedroom and went into Ellie's room, crawling on top of her. I shook her awake with a wide grin on my face.

Groaning, Ellie opened her eyes to see me sitting on top of her and rolled her eyes.

"Sam," Ellie glared at me, the sun peering through the window too harsh on her eyes. "Why are you waking me up? It's like 8 am and a Sunday!"

I pouted. "Ellie, it Christmas!"

Ellie's expression softened as she realised why I was waking her up and where my excitement was coming from. "Come on, let's go wake up Momma then yeah?"

"Yay!"

I kept jumping up and down in happiness before launching myself off of the bed and running to mommy's room, sitting on her the same way I had with Ellie. I spied Wilmer sitting beside mommy — he had been spending lots of time here. I liked having him here. At first, he scared me a bit, but now he made me feel safer whenever he was in the house. I knew he would fight off any bad people.

"Mommy! Wilmer! It's Christmas!"

Wilmer was the first to wake up, opening his arms up for a cuddle. I gladly fell into his chest, his shirt smelling like a mixture of mommy and his own musky smell.

"Merry Christmas Princesa." Wilmer said in his raspy morning voice, making me chuckle.

"Merry Christmas!"

I looked over to Mommy, who had finally opened her eyes and was smiling at the two of us interacting. I moved over so that I could give her a hug too as Ellie came into the room, giving everyone a hug, including me. I loved hugs.

"How about a nice Christmas breakfast," Wilmer started, causing my belly to ache for some food. "Pancakes?"

Mommy's stomach suddenly rumbled so loudly that we could all hear it, answering Wilmer's question. We all broke out into giggles and made our way downstairs to the kitchen to begin our Christmas celebrations.

I helped Mommy set the table while Ellie helped Wilmer cook the yummy pancakes, placing some tablemats out and placing some orange juice in the middle of the table so that we could all reach it. 

Bouncing back into the kitchen, I spied a huge pile of pancakes on top of the bench, just too high for me to reach. I frowned but quickly recovered as Wilmer turned to me with a smile. 

"Tu princesa hambrienta?" Wilmer asked, making me grin. I felt special when Wilmer spoke to me in Spanish because it was something only him and I did. 

"Si!" I replied, knowing he was asking if I was hungry. 

"Puedes ayudarme a llevar los panqueques a la mesa." 

Yes! Helping was my favourite thing to do, and eating pancakes was second! So if I was helping carry pancakes to the table so I could eat them — that was the ultimate end goal, surely. 

I quickly obliged and balanced the pancakes in my arms as I trotted back to the dining table and placed the warm plate of pancakes on the table next to the orange juice. Mommy smiled at me, before thanking me for being such a good helper and we all sat down, ready to eat the delicious fluffy goodness. 

"Merry Christmas bug!" Marissa was the first to greet me at the Christmas party, picking me up and holding me in her arms.

"Hi Wissa!" I exclaimed, kissing her cheek. "I missed you!"