Chapter Fifty-Six

ELLIE'S POV

It had been a few days since Grace had started staying with us and so far, things were going well. We were back to being friends and Demi had given us the last three days of the week off of school so that she could sort out everything she needed, giving us the chance to get even closer. Now that it was Saturday though, we were going with Demi to an award show where she would be performing alongside a multitude of other artists. Sam was staying behind with Marissa who was more than happy to spend time with the four-year-old.

Once we actually arrived at the award show though, it was made apparent that the environment was nothing but chaotic. With people running around and yelling backstage, Grace and I decided that it was probably best for us to just take a seat in the audience and watch soundcheck until the show started.

Somehow, it seemed to get even busier after we sat down and we even got accused of sneaking in through the back door by an extremely arrogant security guard.

"Dude, we're with Demi Lovato. We have passes and everything." Grace rolled her eyes, shoving her pass with her name on it at the man.

"And yours?" He turned his nose up at me as I stuttered across my words in response.

I felt as if I was frozen -- my brain just wasn't functioning right today. The security guard didn't seem patient however as he tutted, ready to pick me up and throw me out of the building -- literally. Grace came to the rescue though, her hands searching through my purse until she found my pass. The security guard walked away with a huff, glaring at me as he turned the corner.

"You okay Elle?" Grace asked me, her hand brushing against mine lightly as she tried to comfort me. "You look terrified."

"I. . . I'm fine. He was just intimidating." I told her truthfully.

"And a major asshole it seems."

It didn't get any better from there. Grace and I got screamed at by a woman for being in the wrong seats, then someone's microphone flew out of their hands and landed on the hard floorboards with a crack, sending an obnoxiously loud noise rippling through the venue. It only made my anxiety worse and my hands began to shake, making me aware that I wasnt going to last much longer. The amount of people running around and yelling over the top of each other only made matters worse, too.

"Grace," I managed to choke out. "I need my mom."

"Okay," Grace said gently, her hand resting on my shoulder. "Let's go find her yeah?"

"No, you stay here, it's okay." I shrugged her off as I stood up, but Grace wasn't having any of it.

"Elle, I'm coming with you."

"Just stay here so that I know where my seat is when I get back." I replied stubbornly, to which Grace didn't argue.

"Text me if you need me okay?" She said. "I mean it Elle."

I simply nodded my head in response before heading backstage in search of my mother. With people zooming past me even faster than before, I felt my heart rate quicken, as well as the speed of my walking as I went towards where I thought the dressing rooms would be.

My legs felt so heavy, it was like I was lugging a whole trailer behind me. All I wanted was my mom, only she could make this better. She always knew what to do, especially when I didn't have a clue.

"Hey! Move out the way!" Someone exclaimed as they ran past me, their shoulder knocking me sideways into the wall. "Idiot!"

I tried to blink away the tears that were forming but they were uncontrollable, leaving me with blurred vision and wet cheeks. I felt my head start pounding and the familiar sensation of an oncoming panic attack rose, making me want to hide away and become invisible.