Chapter Two

Pretending to have just arrived at the door, I composed myself before tapping lightly with my knuckle. 

"Come in." Mrs Neveah's stern voice called.

As I entered the room, I noticed the tension in the air. Demi seemed to be throwing daggers with her eyes towards Mrs Neveah, who had her back turned to us all before she sharply turned around.

"Well? What do you want Eleanor? We don't have time for your time wasting." 

I looked to the ground, hanging my head. "Sorry. I just came to bring Demi some coffee. Ms —"

"For the love of God, Eleanor. Sucking up isn't going to help your already minimal chances of being adopted." Mrs Neveah glared at me.

"W-What? I wasn't, I was just —" I stood there with my mouth open, taken aback by her tone of voice and aggression

"Can you just give Demetria her coffee and go and do something helpful for once? Get yourselves out of my sight Eleanor." She moved her mean gaze from me to Sam, and then back to me. 

"Sorry." I mumbled. 

I quickly scurried out of Mrs Neveah's office, with Sam bouncing on my hip, a piece of my hair in her hand. I could feel my eyes heat up with tears as I trudged up the stairs and up to my bedroom, sitting down on my bed with my back against the wall. It didn't take Sam long to realise that I was upset as she crawled over to me, a confused expression plastered onto her features.

"Ellie?" She cocked her head to the side. "Why sad? Is it becawse of Mrs Neveah?"

I nodded my head at the girl, who tightened her fists at her sides angrily. She furrowed her eyebrows and stared at the door intently.

"No one makes MY Ellie Bellie sad!"

I couldn't help but laugh at Sam. She turned her head back towards me once she heard me laugh, but when she realised I was laughing at her, had a very displeased look on her face.

"Not funny!" Sam whisper-shouted. 

"Is too."

"Uh uh."

"Uh huh."

"Uh u—"

Sam froze once she saw someone was in the doorway, stumbling behind me as if to hide. I looked to see Demi, who had a sympathetic look on her face. I quickly wiped my tears away from my face and looked at the ground embarrassedly.  I was sure that after seeing me cry, and after talking to Mrs Neveah Demi probably didn't want me anymore. She was probably here to collect Sam.  

"Sorry," I said quickly. 

Demi raised her eyebrow as if to tell me not to be. She had the slightest smirk upon her face, making me curious, but I didn't have to be for long.

"Is she always that much of a bitch?" 

I could see Demi holding back her laughter as the words escaped her mouth. I was confused for a moment, before I realised she was talking about Mrs Neveah. 

"Pretty much?" I chuckled, my eyes meeting hers for a split second. 

Demi smiled, entering the room a few steps further, looking around. 

"Do you and Sam sleep here?" she asked.

I nodded my head slightly. "She isn't supposed to, but she kind of migrated into here."

Demi chuckled heartily. Her laugh was cute.

She kneeled down onto the ground. pulling out the two suitcases that were shoved under the bed. I looked at her, puzzled, to which she only grinned.