Chapter Twenty-Six

WARNING
THIS CHAPTER MAY BE TRIGGERING TO READERS
IF YOURE SENSITIVE TO THE TOPIC OF SELF HARM PLEASE SKIP THIS CHAPTER AND REMEMBER MY PM'S ARE OPEN
STAY SAFE

ELLIE'S POV

The bell rang signifying the end of the school day as students poured out of their classrooms and into the parking lot, cramming themselves into their parents cars as they sped away.

"Is your mom picking you up today?" Grace asked, holding her car keys in her hand. "I can drive you home if you need me to."

I shook my head. "Nah, my my mom said she'd be here."

"Alright, well i'm off." Grace embraced me in a hug. "See ya Lovato."

I hugged my best friend back and took a seat down on the bench, my bag sitting beside me as I pulled out my phone and plugged my earphones in, shuffling my music only to have one of Demi's songs come on, causing me to smile and laugh quietly to myself.

3:10

3:15

3:25

Where is she? Demi's always here on time when she's picking me up. Maybe she's caught up in traffic. Dialling her number, I let the phone ring a few times before it went to voicemail, something which happened often. I called her one more time to see if she would answer, but luck was not on my side today as I groaned and stood up, starting down the path towards home.

Thoughts ran through my head as I worried about my mother and sister — were they okay? Maybe mom fell asleep and hadn't woken up yet. I knew she wasn't at the studio today because it was her day off, so what could she be doing? Sam's psychology appointment was early in the morning, so there was no chance they were still there.

It took almost an hour for me to arrive at the door of my house, using the key I had been given to open the door, closing it behind me with a bang. The house was quiet, causing me to doubt my original thought of Demi and Sam being asleep.

"Mom?" I called out, hoping to hear a response. "Sam? Is anyone home?"

No response.

I sighed, figuring maybe they had gone to the studio after all. It wasn't like it was the first time I had been left alone while everyone was at work.

Trudging up the stairs and into my room, I threw my bag into its usual place and went to put my phone on charge when I caught sight of a letter sitting on my bedside table. I quickly scanned its contents as I held it in my hands.

Dear Ellie,

I would have called you but my phone is at the repair shop because I dropped it today, but management needed me in New York for some work stuff this weekend. Sam and I are flying out before you get out of school so you've got the house to yourself. You can invite Grace over to stay with you if you want — I don't mind if she stays until we get back on Monday night. I left cash on the fridge for dinner if you need it and you know that Dallas, Mar and my Mom are all only a phone call away.

Have fun baby,
Love Mom.

I stood there staring at the sheet of paper for a minute taking everything in. She left me? For the whole weekend? I'm used to her not coming home until late when she's at the studio with Sam, but she's never gone out of LA and left me behind before. I felt tears spring to my eyes as I lay on my bed, just staring at the wall blankly.

I felt the anger rise in me as I slammed my fist against the bedside table causing my phone to crash down and hit the ground, screen down. I anxiously flipped it over only to find that the screen had cracked, causing me to get even angrier.