Chapter Thirty-Three

ELLIE'S POV

When I returned to school on Monday, I was approached by my English teacher who seemed happy to see me back.

"Ah, Ellie. I've been worried — I haven't seen you for a while!" He smiled as he stood by my desk that morning.

"Yeah, this is my first day back after just over a month," I responded, trying to start a friendly conversation. Mr Webb had always been one of my favourite teachers, partially due to the fact that he taught one of my favourite subjects — English.

"Oh, that's a long time to be off for? Family holiday?"

"Partially," I chuckled nervously, not aware that my teacher hadn't known I was suspended due to the fight I had gotten into with Olivia. "I was suspended for a week after getting in a fight, and then had another two weeks off, per doctors orders, because of some of the injuries I got. Then we had a little trip to Disneyland for my sister's birthday last week."

"Well, it's good to see you back here." Mr Webb was a pleasant teacher to be around. He didn't treat his students as if they were children. "Anyway, I was wondering if I could speak to you after class? Don't worry, you're not in trouble, just wanted to propose an idea to you."

"Sure." I nodded my head with a smile.

Mr Webb seemed ecstatic that I had agreed as he made his way back over to his desk, sorting out papers and getting up the roll for when the bell finally would ring. I found myself without any friends to talk to for a little while before Grace walked in, taking Leon's seat instead of her own today.

"Leon's infected." Grace stated simply, as if that was just a thing that happened on the daily. "I told him I'd knock him out if he came to school and got me sick, so he's staying home today."

"Hi to you too." I mused, earning a middle finger from Grace as she flung her book across the table, causing everyone in the room to look at her before going back to what they were doing.

"Oh, I almost forgot," I began, digging through my bag before pulling out a small package in wrapping paper with Grace's name on it. "I know you're not really a Disney person, or a jewellery person unless it's some kind of facial piercing, but I bought you these anyway. If you don't like them it's okay — I wanted to bring something back for my best friend."

I handed the gift over to Grace as she unwrapped it, only to discover the thin silver bracelet I had bought her. It had a tiny Mickey Mouse charm on it, and although it wasn't Grace's style, she looked over at me with a small smile. 

"Thanks, Elle," Grace breathed as she studied the bracelet. "I really do like it."

"Are you sure? You don't have to —"

"Shut up and put it on me would you?" 

I smiled and nodded as Grace handed her wrist to me and allowed me to clip it onto her. As much as I doubted that it went with her whole look at first, seeing it on her changed my mind completely.

"Hey, it actually looks pretty cute!" I exclaimed.

"I agree. Thanks, you didn't have to." Grace's gratitude was evident in her eyes as I watched them tear up ever so slightly before she forced the moisture back down, muttering under her breath. "No one's ever done anything like this for me before."

I could tell she hadn't wanted me to hear it, so I pretended I didn't like the classroom slowly filled up and the bell rang, signifying that it was time for us to turn our attention to the teacher. As the roll was called out and our assignment was given to us, I could feel the familiar feeling of my thoughts zooming around my head once again. The high energy, the impulsivity, the need for minimal sleep — it had all slowly crept it's way back into my system around the same time that I had gotten into the fight with Olivia. When I thought back on all of my actions for the past few weeks, it was all able to be categorised into three main descriptors.