Chapter 45

Something was missing or was it someone. The feeling he'd hoped to return to wasn't the same. The house was too silent other than the sound of Satch's feet as he walked nearby. The security of knowing his best friend was just a few yards away was non existent.  For the first time in a very long time Tim was alone.

Managing his way through the house, thankful that Jenika had never decided to rearrange his house when she moved in, he walked through the kitchen to the back door. Satch followed closely behind after checking out the entire house and now sat beside Tim as he stood at the door. Nudging his leg with his nose, Tim reached down to pet him, "I'm not sure buddy. I used to like sitting out there but I can't see past my nose..and he's not there".

Satch turned his head as he listened to Tim, nudging him again. "Okay, okay...I guess you need to check out the back yard anyway " he told him, swinging open the door. Tim held onto the wall till he found his chair right where he left it. Satch took off to the back field finding a place to relieve himself, he then made his way to Chance's place. Tim couldn't see what he was doing but Satch was sniffing out every area he could access wildly wiggling his body as he did. Since having partial sight Tim's other sense had heightened, especially his hearing and he chuckled as he heard the fluffy pup gallop back to him.

"Happy now " he laughed as the pup jumped up to lick his face. Tim fluffed his fur for a few minutes before he finally settled at his feet. He closed his eyes and leaned back in the chair taking in the fresh Tennessee air.

****
"So...why are you sitting here" she asked sitting along side him.

"Seriously, it's still my home" he replied matter of factly.

"Is it really? Home is where the heart is and your heart ain't here big brother" Heather stated, nudging him with her shoulder.

"And just where do you think my heart is" he questioned as Meeshka came running up from behind with his mother.

"Chance, there you are. I thought you were coming for dinner" she asked trying to catch her breath after chasing Meeshka.

"Sorry Momma, I lost all track of time" he told her.

"Because not only your heart but your mind is somewhere else" Heather whispered.

"Shut up" he muttered to her " you don't know what you're talking about".

"Don't be too sure" she laughed running off to the shore with Meeshka.

"That's ok dear, we brought it to you. Marcus is unpacking the car" she smiled as she sat down beside him. "I can see why you love it here so much. The fresh ocean air....ahhhhhh, there's nothing like it".

"Yes, there is...the fresh air of Tennessee" he sadly thought to himself.

Helping his mother to her feet, they walked back to the patio where Marcus and Jake were placing the prepared food. " We waited on the steaks figuring on grilling them here" Jake chuckled tossing him a beer.

"Y'all didn't have to do this" he smiled catching his drink.

"Nonsense, we wanted to surprise you anyway you've been away so long and stressed over everything" his Mom told him with a quick hug around his waist.

Marcus shrugged at Chance, " you know your Momma" he said as he began to prep the grill.

"Can I help with anything, cook the steaks?" Chance offered as Heather and Meeshka returned from the shore.

Grabbing a beer from the cooler she walked past him closely and whispered, "best prepare yourself, Momma is about to start the interrogation" she laughed as Jake smacked her on the butt attempting to get her to leave her brother alone.

Cali walked over and raised her arms up, "Uncle Chance" she motioned. He quickly put his beer aside and picked up his niece. Seemed like forever since he'd seen her and he swore she'd grown a foot. "How's my little girl" he asked.

"I'm not little, I'm a big girl now" she smiled taking his hat off and putting it on her own head backwards just like he wore it.

"Oh, I see" he smiled giving her a little tickle.

"Where's Uncle Timmy" she asked innocently.

"He's at his home, resting" he told her.

"He should be with us, we can make him feel better" she told him playing with his beard.

"Yes, honey we could but he couldn't come right now. But he's ok, don't worry he has a new friend to help him" he told her.

"A new friend? A girlfriend?" she asked.

Chance laughed, " No Sweetie, Satch isn't his girlfriend".

Cali looked at him strangely, not understanding who or what Satch was. He quickly explained that he was his therapy dog and how he was helping Uncle Timmy get better.

"Oooh" she replied "Can I play with him sometime?"

"He may not be with Uncle Timmy the next time you see him. When he's all better then Satch has to go help someone else" he explained.

Cali pouted a little, "that's sad that he has to leave Uncle Timmy but I guess if he goes help somebody else that's good, right Uncle Chance"

"Sure is Sweetie, he's a special one" he told her.

"Just like you, you're special too" she told him with a kiss on the cheek and a tight squeeze around the neck.