Chapter 38

"Is this mess ever going to be over with" Austin remarked reading the tabloid left on the table.

"Stop reading that garbage" Adam said, swiping the paper from his hands.

"Hey, I was getting into the whole 'Untold Story' " he replied.

"Well, you already know the Real story, so why feed your brain with this" Rob added, placing the paper in the trash.

"Research" he replied.

"Research?" they asked in unison.

"Yeah, for my memoirs" Austin replied smugly.

Rob and Adam could barely contain themselves with laughter that now echoed through the tour bus.

"Oookay...but um..wouldn't it be better if your 'memoir' was about you and your accomplishments and not the gossip and lies of others" Adam asked.

"How interesting is that...he was born, he sang, he became famous, the end. Real interesting stuff, huh" Austin stated.

Rob listened to the two as they went back and forth about their reasons. He knew Austin was having difficulty in dealing with everything the group had experienced over the years..love lost, trauma, uncertainty.  This was his way of dealing with it without asking the others for help. He wasn't being selfish, he was scared and this was the only way he knew how to get through it, again.

Walking towards them Rob held out his arms, encircling two of his brothers, bringing them closer "it's going to be alright, we're going to be alright" he assured them.

"But is Timmy, he's still in the hospital and still can't see..what if" Austin spoke softly.

"Have faith, buddy. He's strong and stubborn in more ways than one. He's gonna bounce back" Rob told him.

****
Tim leaned back as the doctor completed his examination of his eyes.

"You're healing well, Tim" Lynch told him.

"Then why the hell can't I see anything. It's cloudy, dark. When you open my eyes they burn like fire. This is better?" he stated.

"You suffered severe blunt force trauma, Tim. It's not going to go away over night" Lynch replied.

"What if it never goes away, what if it's permanent " Tim added.

"Time will tell, in the meantime I'll continue the pain medications and ointment" Lynch began to write the order.

"No...no more pain medication....it's messing with my mind, I don't want it" Tim stated sternly.

"How....explain how you feel" Lynch inquired.

Tim explained the hallucinations, the feeling of fear, being out of control. He hated it, it wasn't normal and he wanted no more.

"I see, well this could be an adverse reaction. Not uncommon really, medications affect each individual differently.  Perhaps a lesser dose or different medication" Lynch replied
making notations in the chart.

"How about none and just let me go home. I can deal with the pain. I can't deal with lying here feeling useless" Tim replied.

"I can't just let you leave, Tim. You need to start a regimen of therapy to acclimate yourself to you present vision conditions. And believe me, you still need pain medications.  The burning you're feeling now when I open you eyelids would be ten times worse without it" Lynch explained.

"Therapy, great. What are you going to do, train me with a seeing eye dog" Tim sassed.

"Actually,  yes" Lynch answered.

"No..no way....you just said this was temporary.  A seeing eye dog is for blind people, permanently blind people" Tim retorted.

"And a service dog, which is who will be assigned to you, is just that. A dog that will provide you with assistance until you are fully healed and back on your feet" the doctor stated.

Tim shook his head, "how the hell am I supposed to have a dog on a tour bus, there's hardly enough room for the five of us as it is".

"I'm sure you'll think of something" he stated patting Tim on the shoulder before walking to the door where he turned and said, "oh by the way, he'll be here first thing in the morning".

"But...but" Tim stuttered.

"You're welcome" Lynch responded, smiling as he walked out of the room.

****
"I've seen the reports on the news, I had to come, I have to help" she told him.

"I've missed you, you're still my friend regardless of what's happened between us" he told her, pulling her in for a hug.

"I've missed you" she stated, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"And I've missed you" he smiled as she pulled back. "I'm curious, just how can you help"

Smiling, she stood, taking his hands and pulling him to his feet. "Take me to Tim and I'll explain".

Holding her by the hand they quickly crossed the street to the hospital entrance. They stood silently among the other visitors in the elevator as they ascended to the third floor. Making their way down the hospital hallway, he guided her to his room. Slowly opening the door she saw him for the first time in what seemed like an eternity.  Quietly she slipped in as Chance closed the door behind him.

Tim sensed someone had entered, "who's there" he asked, with no response. Feeling uneasy he asked again, the sense of someone nearing his bed side. "Damn it, don't mess with me" his voice unsteady.

Getting as close as she could, she stood on her toes, leaning across and smiling she whispered in his ear "Hello Timmy".

"Olena?" he replied with disbelief.