Chapter 24

Walking towards the diminishing bright light, the weeping seemed to fade ..what was this place, why was he here, who was here...the questions bombarded his mind as the feeling of peace returned to cold emptiness as he walked further through the warehouse..

Chance dropped his jacket in the chair and made his way to the kitchen area. Grabbing a shot glass he quickly opened the Patron and filled it to the brim, not once but twice before he decided to get comfortable on the balcony with the bottle. Sitting back he closed his eyes, trying to relax from the stress of her father's demands and the lies he told over and over to her in order to keep Tim from being arrested. Pouring another shot he finally called Adam.

"Hey, what's up. You texted like a hundred times" Chance chuckled.

"I've been trying to get you all day, have you read them" Adam asked somewhat sarcastically.

" uh..no not really just got back to my room" he replied tossing back another shot.

"Read the damn things, Tim's on his way. You both may be in danger" Adam demanded.

"Danger, seriously the dangerous one is here remember " Chance replied, the tequila obviously taking effect.

"Damn it Chance. This is serious. Caroline's father has been released from prison and word has it he's out to make his life hell" Adam stated sternly.

"Why would I be in danger, even Jenika for that matter" he asked, again throwing back another shot.

"Get your head out of your ass man. He believes Tim took away everything that meant anything to him, meaning Caroline. He's out to do the same to Tim..take away everyone that means anything to him..Dena, Emily, Jenika..all of us. Do you understand!" Adam yelled into the phone.

"Fuck...FUCK" Chance yelled back realizing what Adam was trying to tell him. "When, where, how" he asked.

"That's just it, we have no idea. He's been served with orders of protection but that means nothing to anyone like him. Watch your back Chance and his, he should be arriving soon" Adam advised.

"What has you all upset" said the familiar voice standing in the doorway.

Startled, Chance quickly stood, turning around "What are you doing here? How did you get in" he asked.

****
Harrison settled into his temporary home, he wasn't planning on staying long in Texas, he had no reason to. Nothing of any meaning remained there. Placing what little belongings he had on the table he began making notes  for what the future would hold.

"First thing, I have to report to the damn parole officer in the morning. Seriously, they know where I am they set me up in this disgusting hotel room to begin with. At least I won't be confined here, as soon as I can get my money I'll be really free" he said aloud, continuing to write his list.

A knock at the door brought him from his thoughts. Keeping the chain across, he barely opened the door. Quickly shutting and dropping the chain he opened it wide to allow his visitor in.

"Seriously, locking the door and chain? You're free now, remember " they said placing the food and other items upon the table.

"It's going to take some time to get used to the feel of freedom and no longer hearing the bars slam shut, ya know" Harrison replied.

"What ya working on" they asked, picking up his list.

Harrison quickly grabbed it from their hands. No one needed to know anything, even them, not now anyway. Folding it up he shoved it into his pocket.

Smiling, his friend turned on the TV while Harrison took the food from the bags. "Well, would you look here" they stated.

Harrison stepped over to the tv, looking at the story on the news, his friend remarked, "Hey, isn't that your son in law there. Seems he's made quite a name for himself, huh"