Chapter 23

Tim made it through the performance and the signing line with fans none the wiser to the hell he was going through. Adam had conferred with the attorneys who agreed due to the release of Jennings it would be best not to go public about the split at this time. Making his way out to the taxi that would take him to the airport Austin stopped him at the door.

"Hey, you be careful. Watch your back ya hear " he told him, grabbing him into a manly hug.

"Thanks kid, I will. Y'all do the same, I'll be in touch soon" Tim replied tossing his bag in the seat.

Rob and Adam emerged from the theater just as the taxi pulled away. "I hope he knows what he's doing" Rob remarked watching the taillights fade in the distance.

"Does Chance know he's on his way" Austin asked.

"I've sent a few encrypted messages to his phone, just in case Jenika is nearby. I'm still waiting for a response" Adam answered.

"I hope that's not a bad sign" Austin stated walking back towards the bus.

"Me too" Rob added. "me too"

****
Chance was just entering the rental car when his phone vibrated in the cupholder. Checking the recent message he found at least ten more had been sent prior. He'd left his phone in the car while concentrating on convincing Jenika to take Tim's offer. Reading each one quickly he decided to head back to his hotel room before calling Adam, not wanting to take any chances of Jenika overhearing anything. Leaving her residence he decided to stop at a local liquor store to grab a bottle of whiskey. It had been an exhausting day keeping up the charade and he desperately needed a drink.

Once inside he walked along the aisles trying to locate his favorite brand, unsuccessfully he decided on the bottle of Patron that was calling his name. "Even better" he thought to himself bringing it to the counter.

The clerk remarked, "Top shelf, excellent choice. Ya sharing or caring" he asked ringing it up.

"Excuse me" Chance asked.

"Well when most customers buy the best they either are sharing to celebrate or caring too much about someone and want to numb the pain" he replied turning the credit card reader towards Chance.

"Oh, yeah good point. Neither for me, just umm..had a rough day..so grabbing it for a nightcap" Chance told him, sliding in his card.

The clerk placed the bottle in a paper bag and handed it to Chance while he signed the receipt. "Here ya go, have a good night" he told him as Chance walked to the door.

"Yea, he's caring whether he wants to admit it or not" the clerk said aloud as he walked to the door, locked it and turned the sign to closed.

****

Jenika had watched Chance from her bedroom window as he drove off. She trusted him with just about everything but there was one more thing he needed to prove to her that he was there for her and only her, that this wasn't his way of helping Tim.

Having gone to school and worked with him for years she came to know his routine quite well, perhaps even better than he did. Every night on tour, almost like clock work he would grab a bite to eat and consume his fair share of adult beverages before turning in for the night, and several mornings he would awaken in excruciating pain from the over indulgence. Anticipating tonight would be like all the others, especially after he helped her deal with her Dad and attorneys all day, she grabbed her small overnight bag, her sister's keys, and quietly entered the garage to take Luisa's car, leaving to put her plan to test.