Chapter 44

It had been two weeks since Tim and Satch had been matched up and a perfect match it turned out to be. Both were stubborn in their own ways, Tim in his denying his need of the big fur ball and Satch with his persistence to prove him otherwise. Finally trusting one another with each others life they worked like a well oiled machine.

Satch had become very protective of Tim, warning when strangers approached and eagerly greeted family and friends. Tim had learned the signs, if he stiffened his guard was up and would place himself between Tim and the person or object. If his tail wagged he knew that friends or family were approaching. If his entire body wiggled it meant one thing, Chance was coming near them.

During the weeks that followed his release from the hospital the swelling had reduced and his eyesight improved slightly where he could at least make out shadows. He suffered a bit more cornea damage than first thought due to have been wearing his contacts at the time of the assault. The healing would take longer than projected especially after having surgery to correct some of the damage, the facial fractures were healing and the pain had lessened for the most part.

The trial for Jenika had been postponed, mainly based on Tim's recovery. His testimony along with the information Olena provided to the attorneys were considered to be the best defense to ensure that both she and her father would get what they deserved.

Dena, Emily and Bobby had returned to Texas to wait until the trials. Dena tried to get Tim to come home with them but he refused wanting to return to Tennessee to continue his recovery. But it was more than that, he needed to return to his home not only to heal his wounds, but to heal his heart.

The rest of the guys headed back to their homes as well. The emotional strain on all of them brought them to the decision to go on hiatus, at least until after the trial. Rob and Adam each craved quality time with their wives and children to decompress, to rejuvenate their connections that there was still some good in the world, especially as seen through their children.

Austin was back in Georgia staying with his uncle spending time reflecting on his past relationship with Olena. Most days began with early mornings on the nearby lake some days fishing others just thinking.

Olena was back in Nashville where she now lived working on photo shoots and video production designs keeping herself occupied until the trial. Her testimony was determined to be quite beneficial yet no one other than the attorneys still knew what it was.

And then Chance. He felt a need to stay away from Tim. He cited his reason for going home to Alabama as a need to reconnect with his family but in reality he was feeling intense guilt, wishing he'd never returned from the other side and that he'd never ever brought Jenika into his life.

****

Walking along the gulf shore he played over and over again the events of the past several months, the years, questioning every decision he'd made that involved his relationship with Tim. There was no denying he was in love with him, so why did he push him towards Jenika. Why was the message from the other side unclear and why hadn't he insisted on their intervention sooner. Too many questions, too much heartache and pain.

Looking back from the shore towards his home he thought back to the times Tim had stood on the upper deck watching over him, the times he rescued him from danger, from himself. Was Olena right, was he truly afraid of losing him. Did he dare believe that they were actually in search of each other. He immediately dismissed that thought from his mind, it wasn't possible. He'd finally confided in Tim of his infatuation that night in Texas but he never showed anything more than acceptance of who Chance professed to truly be. No, clearly he was like a brother, nothing more.