Chapter 17

Finding himself walking through an open abandoned warehouse he questioned what he was searching for. The building was as empty as he felt inside, yet hauntingly familiar. Noticing light cascading through a door slightly ajar, the muted sound of someone weeping was heard as he approached.  Peering through the crack the silhouetted figure was seen engulfed in a beam of blinding, bright light.
Wondering why they were weeping when he felt an overwhelming calmness, he listened closely as they spoke.....

****
Luisa looked out the window as the rental car pulled up. She watched as Chance adjusted his jacket and hat before walking towards the house. She quickly ran to the top of the stairs so she would be able to watch what was about to transpire. Her phone in hand, prepared to record the scene, she waited while her mom approached the door at the sound of the doorbell.

"May I help you...oh good lord, Chance..what are you doing here" she greeted.

Chance stepped inside, leaning down he gave her a quick kiss on the cheek, "hello Mrs. Marion" he greeted.

Hearing the familiar voice from the kitchen, Jenika ran to the door, threw her arms around him and began to cry, "thank God you're here" she exclaimed.

Luisa held the phone steady as she watched her sister acting out as the damsel in distress like so many times before. Chance held onto her, trying to calm her when her Dad walked in.

"What are you doing here" he questioned Chance.

Trying to get Jenika to loosen the death grip she held on him, he finally managed to reach out his hand "Hello Mr. Marion" he greeted.

"I asked what are you doing here. If you've come here on Tim's behalf, you can leave right now" he stated.

"Daddy please..." Jenika pleaded, wiping her fake tears from her eyes.

"No sir, I'm here for her. Like I've always said I would be" he replied, sliding his arm around Jenika pulling her close.

Her dad looked at him, a questionable expression upon his face, "You better be or we are going to have a major problem, do I make myself clear" he told him.

Chance swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat. He knew he would need to be even more convincing than ever for his plan to work.

****
Having pulled into the next venue a few hours ahead of schedule Rob and Austin decided to head out to do a bit of exploring around the area while Adam felt it was best that he and Tim stay behind to work on the announcement needed to explain the recent breakup.

"This ain't gonna be easy, Adam. Too many questions are still unanswered. We really don't know Chance's plan of handling her either let alone trying to explain why he's not here. It's a mess, one big fucking mess because of me" Tim stated, flopping back down on the couch.

"Will you stop, it's not your fault. We were all blind sighted by her" Adam retorted.

"Yeah, but.." Tim tried to continue.

"That's it, enough. We need to get things done to keep your ass out of jail, protect the group's reputation and get Chance back here as soon as possible " Adam stated sternly.

Tim looked at him raising a brow, "Damn, when you get fired up you.."

"Get things done. Now, I started to prepare a statement for what you should say. The attorneys think you should not give up too much information, keep it to the point." Adam explained showing him the information.

Tim looked it over, reading the words seem to hit him hard, reality was sinking in. He hadn't been affected by all that took place over the past week, or so he thought  until he read the paper he was now holding. The truth hurt.

"Are you ok" Adam asked concerned over his silence and expression.

"Yeah. Uh sure" he replied not taking his eyes off the paper.

Adam took it from his hands. "Tim, I need to ask"

"What's that" he replied swiping his hand through his hair.

"Are you sure this is what you want, that it's over, really over because the look on your face right now is making me wonder" Adam asked.

Tim looked up at him, "Did I want my marriage to fail? Did I want my wife to be in love with someone else? Did I want that someone else to be my best friend? Of course not. It's just looking at that paper made it all more true, more real ya know" Tim replied solemnly.

Adam sat down next to him. "One more question. Is there any chance, the slightest possibility that you want to reconcile and try to make it work".

Tim looked him straight in the eye, "No absolutely not. I don't love her. Hell, I'm not sure if I ever really did. But this announcement? I need to do it my way, my words".

"Ok, fair enough. But I think you should do it soon. No telling when and how Jenika may announce it herself" Adam replied tearing up the version he'd written.