03 : The School

"The name of the princess I should have been married with is Anya."

*
*
*

My marriage with Karl has just finished. Nothing special, it's so quiet and we don't really have guests except the Empress and some castle members.

I walk through the hall, the castle is so big and I can't stop 'wow'-ing every little thing.

"This is going to be your room." The maid named Lydia says to me as she opens the door to the room that I will sleep in myself. It is so big and bright. I really love this room. It even has balcony! Well, I used to play inside Princess Anya's room though.

"Thank you, miss.." I don't know what to call her because I was also a maid before.

"Call me Lydia, Princess."

I nod. "Then, I'll call you Lyd!"

"Watch out princess!" I can hear Lydia's voice shouting as a sword's heading towards me. I freeze. The sword is right beside my head. I'm shocked. I try to get away, but dammit! My hair is there stuck with the sword.

"Prince Karl," Lydia bows as I turn my way to see this damn prince that I just married 30 minutes ago, he was the one who has thrown this sword to me.

"Move," his red eyes glare at me. 

"I can't." I answered. He lifts his eyebrow as if he doesn't understand.

"My hair's stuck." I continue.

I can hear Karl sighs as he pulls his sword.

"It would be better to cut your hair short, Antania." He says then leaves.

"What's with him?" I mumble, not thinking that Karl would actually heard it.

He turns back and says, "It's better to lower your voice when you talk behind other's back."

Argh! I surrender. Can I just leave? This is not like the novel I read!

***

"Come on, I'm tired of waiting." I jolt.

"The name of the princess I should have been married with is Anya."

I still stay quiet.

"You knew already, didn't you?" I ask Karl.

"I know everything."

I raise my eyebrow.

"My trusted guard Philip told me."

"Why do you have to replace her?" He asks again.

"Because she doesn't want to marry you." I simply answer.

"Why?"

"I don't know."

"Then, why do you want to replace her?"

"I'm just a maid."

I see Karl nods.

"Well, I hope you can bare with me." I can see Karl smirks at me.

"Let's go, Prince, Princess. Prince Kenn has arrived." Lydia comes to us.

"Who?" I ask.

"Prince Kenn, Your Majesty's cousin." Lydia smiles while she explains to me.

Who is this Prince Kenn? I never saw his name in my novel book.

We walk and walk and finally we arrive at the garden where I can see a brown-haired boy smiling as he runs to us.

"Hi, brother!" 

I only look at them both, not having any interest on joining their conversation. From my point of view, they are in a whole different worlds. One is so cheerful and the other one is like a living statue.

"Hi, sister! Nice to meet you, my name is Kenn." Kenn smiles as he introduces himself.

"I'm Antania," I smile back at him.

"Kenn," Someone suddenly calls Prince Kenn. I can see a lady walks closer to us. To be honest, I don't really like looking at her. She looks kinda terrifying.

"Your Highness, nice to finally meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, umm.."

"Duchess Vasulla, Kenn's mother." she continues as she smiles.

"Nice to meet you too, Duchess Vasulla." I bow as an honor to her.

"Come one brother, it's almost time for school. We should go now." Kenn suddenly says as Karl nods and the leave me behind. Karl leaves me behind without saying anything?! What should I do here alone?

"Princess, should we go somewhere?"

"Yes, please." Hearing Lydia said that makes my heart just fly. I want to escape this awkwardness.

"Excuse me, Duchess." I say to Duchess Vasulla as Lydia and I walk away.

***

"Where are we going, Lyd?"

I walk with Lyd holding my hand. Everything looks the same. High trees are everywhere. Why are we going deep into the forest?

"Seeing your husband at school, Princess." 

After a not-so long walk, we are finally in the royal school. I look confused. Is this some kind of hidden road to school? Anyway, so this is what the royal school looks like. I've never gotten myself a chance to see what it looks like.

"Hey, devil boy! Don't just stand there, bring that ball to me." a kid just shouted at Karl who was reading his book silently in the school garden.

Karl, not wanting to debate, takes the ball and throws it to that kid.

"Hey! Can't you throw? Look, now my shoes got dirty because of the mud." 

"Why does Karl so quiet there, Lyd?"

"He's a troubled kid, Princess. He doesn't want to cause trouble so that's why he just stays quiet to avoid making more troubles."

Now I understand.

"But, isn't it too harsh?"

"He has no choice . He doesn't want to cause the Empress any trouble for being a bad kid."

Isn't the one that shouted at him is the troubled one?!

"Now, clean my shoes!"

Karl keeps quiet.

"Hey, don't ignore me!" that kid pushes Karl, making him and his book fall on the ground. I can see Karl squeeze his hands.

"Lyd, can't we help?"

"This school is for boys only, Princess. You might get kicked out if they find you here."

I just realized that we are actually hiding by the tress and bushes.

I can't stand it!

As soon as I saw that kid lifts his hand, wanting to hit Karl, I throw the ball that is actually near me and quickly run and hide beside Lydia. Lydia looks at me with a shock face.

"What did you just do, Princess?" Lydia smiles at me, trying to hold her laugh.

I smiles as I tell her to stay quiet.

"What the hell?!" That kid turns around, looking at his dirty clothes.

"I think it's a ghost!" His friends shout and run. Leaving him still confused and finally he also runs in fright. Well, kids always believe that ghosts are real.

I chuckles. That was fun.

I widen my eyes and close my mouth when our eyes meet. Karl's red eyes stares at me.

He then smirks and stands up. He takes his book from the ground. He then waves his hand from the back to me.

He knew!

"He's not that stupid to not notice we are here, Your Majesty." Lydia laughs as she and I walk back to the castle.