71 : Ever After (END)

"Will you marry me?"

*
*
*

The chill wind wakes me up in the middle of the night. I pull the blanket up to my face, stretch myself only to find the side of the bed empty. I slowly open my eyes and sit by the bed. Thanks to the moonlight can I see the door to the balcony opened. There, I see Karl sitting and closes his eyes.

"What are you doing here?" I walk to him bringing a blanket. How can he stand the coldness tonight just wearing a thin shirt?

Unexpectedly, he pulls me to his lap. He then wraps the blanket around us with me trying to let myself out from his arms.

"Wife, stop moving you're heavy."

"Dear husband, since you said that, let me sit on the bench myself. It's pretty long for even just the two of us." I try to stand up but again, the more I try to move the tighter his grip on me is.

I sigh. "So, what are you doing in the middle of the night?"

"Can't sleep." he shortly answers.

"I can make you warm milk, it will help."

"Do you think I'm a kid?"

Nobody speaks anymore, both of us are looking at the thousands of stars up there. I don't feel cold any more thanks to Karl's warmth. I try to touch his arms.

"You've become thinner, don't you think so?" I bluntly say. Even though his muscle is well trained, I can tell he's losing a bit amount of weight. The feeling of his hug is a bit different even though it is still as calming as usual.

"And you've been gaining weight, I can tell."

"Tch, can you stop teasing me with your sharp words. It'd be better for me to go back to my world!"

Ah. Damn, I should have think first before I say that. Even though I can't see his face, I can sense a great mood change at my back. I can feel someone glaring at me from behind, Karl's grip also tightened. He suddenly leans his head on my neck.

"You are not allowed to say that," he says softly.

'Why does he sound like a puppy now?'

"Wife, you can't say that." He taps my neck with his head. I widen my eyes, his voice is shaking.

I try to turn around but he holds me back. "No," he says.

"Here." I tap my shoulder and luckily he understands. Karl leans his head on my shoulder and I softly brush his dark hair.

"Alright, I'm just joking. Why are you being sensitive?" I chuckle.

He doesn't say anything. I can feel a slow steady breath from behind. Is he sleeping? I try to look at the clock, it's 12.05 AM.

"Happy birthday, love" I whisper, letting my words be brought by the wind.

"What did you say?" Karl suddenly lifts his head, making me flinch.

"I thought you're sleeping!" I say, looking at his face and quickly run away. I was going to reach the bed when Karl suddenly catch me and throw ourselves to the bed.

"Hahaha! That was terrifying.." I laugh in his arm around my neck. Karl only looks at me with his eyes.

"Wife,"

I am still trying to catch my breath after the short adrenaline.

"Will you marry me?"

I gasp. Both of us stay silent. Karl's eyes are still looking deep into me.