Chapter Fifty-Five

I couldn't stop thinking about what he said to me. Yes, I was debating it. It's just one night. That's it. It'll save the secret. It will ensure that Damien isn't exposed either. Thinking about it, If the kingdom found out that I was human they would start investigating the King.

Shit I can't do this. What am I thinking? Stop trying to convince yourself Claire you know this is wrong. Don't let the pig get what he wants. Stop thinking so low of yourself.

Regardless I have to tell Damien about this right? It's the right thing to do...right?

"Claire...are you listening?" I snapped out of my daze, looking at the papers on the desk then back up at him.

"I am. Just remind me of what you said again"

"February 25th, is that alright with you?" I nodded my head slowly.

I think he was talking about what day the 'Celebration' will be. He wrote something down on the paper, then signed his name at the bottom. He handed me the pen and I signed my name as well.

"Are we done yet?" He shuffled through the papers and sighed.

"We left a dent in it, some packs are having issues with Rogues. They want their warriors out of the war to protect their individual packs" I haven't thought about that in a long time.

The war. I guess ever since Caleb I didn't want to think about it.

"Shouldn't we allow some to fall back? We should keep the people safe"

"I can't allow that. We are protecting the people by keeping most Rouges far away" My mouth formed into an O and I glanced back at the papers.

"Again. Grendale pack from the south requests pack members back from deployment. Their reason being too young"

I looked at what he was looking at seeing images of younger looking kids.

They look younger than my brother. I felt my throat have a lump in it but I swallowed that down. He would write something under a description box then signed he. He handed it to me and I read it over.

Paul Monnay - 17 years old. Alphas Son
Katie Liam - 16 years old. Beats Daughter

I bit my lip not liking what I was seeing at all. Yet my hand moved anyway, signing it.

"You have been more quiet than usual. What is on your mind?" Do I tell him?

"You can be open with me...You know that right?" I sighed

"Grayson...he approached me in the library. He-He wanted to make a deal" I spoke slowly trying to find the right words.

"He said I only have to spend one night with him and-"

"Are you fucking joking?" His face scrunched up in anger, his voice getting louder.

"Im sorry" He got up out his chair, muttering a curse under his breathe.

"I knew he would pull something like this. That bastard. Did he touch you? During that encounter did he lay a fucking hand on you?"  His eyes flashed as he came around the desk, looking me over.

"No he didn't I made sure of it-" Then he grabbed me standing me up.

I gasped as his nose went to the crook of my neck, right above the mark. He took a deep breathe in, he was smelling me? He then shuddered pulling away, his hands now at either side of my face. 

"I could smell him on you. He's dead" He spoke bluntly.

He went to go past me but I only grabbed his arm, stopping him.

"If you attempt it, we will be exposed. You can't act on your emotions right now" his eyes flickered a bit, eventually going back to his normal eye color.

"If I didn't ask were you even going to tell me?" The correct response would be yes.

Yet stupid Claire couldn't get a word out, was I even going to tell him?

"I'm sorry...I didn't want to upset you"

"Stop saying your sorry. This isn't your fault. I'm sorry I got mad just...I don't like him touching what's mine" His eyes burned through me as that statement was all seriousness.

I nodded looking away from the burning gaze. I let him go as I sat back down.

He crouched down in front of me, his elbows resting on his knees. "Shit I did it again. I can't help it"

"What are you talking about?" He had a frown on his face.

"I made you uncomfortable. Didn't I? Calling you mine. I'm trying to figure it out so I can get better at this"

"Like I said. I have to get used to it. We are mates after all" He gently grabbed my hand, holding onto it.

"But I still want to make you happy. I want to repay for what we have done to you" No stop it.

Don't give in Claire. Just block it out like you normally do, ignore.

"I know..." That will keep him quiet.

He studied me for a bit. Just staring. I looked away from him again, back at all the papers.

"Look I'm really trying..."

"I know" He got up, I'm assuming to give up.

He walked back over to his side of the desk with a blank face.

"For the celebration, you are to stay by my side the entire time and are not to go out of my sight. Is that understood?" I nodded slowly.

"I don't want him anywhere near you, James will be by your side as well. I trust him with you"

Then he went to, again I'm assuming mind link him. I got up again, organizing the desk as the papers were just scattered everywhere.

Everything about this night was getting me nervous. How will I even be able to handle human cage fights? I haven't even been around my kind that much but, how am I even going to react? I can't react, then everyone will know something is up. 

"Out of curiosity...where do the humans come from?" I just had to ask.

"Each pack brings their own human to fight. The royal family doesn't have to choose one so don't worry about that" he said as he came out of the mind link.

Everything is going to be fine Claire. What could go wrong?

A/N

Ahhh short I know but now I know the ending for this book. Be prepared. The end is near. Also I'm prepared for the amount of hate/love for the next few chapters we have left. 😈