Chapter Twenty-Two

"Come on, keep up" to match Caleb's and Malcolm's long strides through the broken pack was hard to do.

Stupid tall people. I tried getting glimpses of those who were effected but I was moving to fast to even focus. The destruction...all of it was gone. In the middle of the pack was a makeshift tent, it was big. Malcolm led us inside.

It was a medic place. There were makeshift beds everywhere along with many injured covered in soot and ash. I looked worryingly amongst the crowd my eyes scanning everywhere for my family. Then Caleb saw someone, running up to them. They hugged and I immediately recognized it as Chase. They broke off then Chase stared at me. He ran up to me, engulfing me into a hug as well.

"Baby sister! Thank god your alive! No one knew if you were alive or-or dead! Then the fire was set off and-and" he was starting to get choked up. He was always the emotional one.

"It's fine. Everything is fine. Where are mom and dad? The twins?" He moved his head to the side to another separate tent in the back on the huge tent.

"Our family is stationed in there. But Claire there is something you should kno-" I didn't stay to listen.

I had to see them for myself. I pressed on even though Malcolm from behind me warned me to stay. I had to go by some people, most of them confused by my presence. I opened the tent gasping.

"Mom" she looked up from her bed, she was completely covered in ash.

She had a breathing mask over her face attached to a tank of oxygen. She started to cry as I came closer, putting a hand on my face, caressing it.

"Don't cry...don't cry I'm here...I'm here" Caleb joined me on the other side of her. She cried out "Don't mom, please mom rest...please. Where is dad?"

"H-He is helping everyone" she started to cough again.

I looked over for a split second seeing someone else on the bed. I got up going towards it to see one of the twins, lying down with his arm burnt. A woman was sitting at his bed side, holding onto his hand and crying silently. The other twin was behind that woman, soothingly rubbing her back telling her it will be okay. He then looked up seeing me and gasping. He went around the bed to embrace me, I could hear him sobbing.

"Oh no don't cry. Don't cry uh Carson?" He shook his head in my shoulder.

"C-Carson is hurt Claire. He-He came to get me and then the house fell and..oh god" I ran my hand through his hair calming Carter down.

I have never seen him like this...ever. It worried me terribly. He let go of me so I could go next to Carson. He  smiled at me weakly, then wincing in pain as the woman accidentally bumped into his arm.

"Who is this?" I motioned to the girl. She only growled her eyes turning yellow. Aggressive much?

"Claire...this is my mate...Jasmine" Carson had mumbled. Her eyes turned to normal her mouth gaping

"I'm so sorry. You're his sister right? My wolf totally thought otherwise for some reason" I nodded understanding.

"It's fine...I'm just glad my family is okay...for the most part. When is he suppose to fully heal?" Of coarse burn marks don't really effect wolves as much, they heal it just takes a lot of time. Jasmine wiped away at a tear, I must've hit a nerve.

"No one knows. One of the pillars of the house came down directly on the bone snapping it. He couldn't move causing it to catch on fire" his other non burned hand caressed her hand trying to soothe her. She whimpered then he winced one more time, the skin beginning to add on a new layer.

"I'm so sorry this happened. This is my fault, this is all my fault" now tears were in my eyes.

Welcome to Claire Waterworks, all water is salty and free! Frequent freshness! Ugh.

"How can it be your fault you weren't here-!" He could barely finish the sentence.

He let out another groan as his mate pushed his hair back with her fingers.

"Just let him rest, he will be up in a couple of days I assume" she stated.

I nodded getting up giving Carter a sad smile and walking away. Caleb was still talking to mom, making sure she was alright. I didn't bother them and went back to Malcolm.

"Claire we need to talk. Come with me" he sounded serious for once.

I went with him, he led me towards the back of the pack, where a house was. It was burnt to the ground along with the rest but it was in a secluded area almost as if someone abandoned it. He stopped sighing and running a hand through his matted hair.

"Your his mate?"

"Y-Yeah I am" sad as it was I am. As hurtful as it was I am. Out of all people the human is his mate.

"What about us? I know we haven't agreed on everything in the past but I thought we were gonna attempt to make this work" he motioned between us.

I'm already falling for Liam, this can't be fair to Malcolm though.

"I know just...that's not my fault. He's the King and I can't get out of it to see if we would even work"

"Just of all people. That bastard. He almost killed your family and you still want to be his mate? He is cruel Claire!"

"I know that. I have no choice. If I'm not his mate he will kill my family. This isn't the best situation but it has to be done" he generally looked hurt. I gulped down the soreness in my throat sighing once more.

"Please let me have you one last time then...one last kiss and then I will know this is over, completely. Just one last time" he started to lean in closer to me.

My body automatically responded, leaning towards him. Than his familiar lips met mine. No sparks as Liam's held but still enjoyable. Still soothing. His hands were on me, moving in the same way he always would. Knowing what to touch to bring me the most pleasure. I hummed against him lips, his arms bringing me in closer to his body.

Our moment was cut short. A growling noise. Malcolm broke away quickly, still keeping a hold on me. We both looked at the direction where the sound came from. I gasped seeing two wolves. One sitting down patiently behind the darker wolf in front who was enraged. Yellow eyes, those yellow eyes looked familiar.

"A-Axel wait. It's not his fault" he snapped his fangs at us barking. Malcolm let go of me starting to shift into his wolf. "Wait no! Stop it!"

Axel pounced on Malcolm who was still mid shift. I screamed trying to get the two apart but the other wolf who was sitting earlier pushed me back, keeping me out of range. The bodyguard I'm assuming. Axel clawed at Malcolm bringing his wolf down to the floor. Malcolm was trying so hard to fight back but he wasn't as strong as the King.

Axel bit at Malcolm's side, deepening his fangs. I screamed again falling to the snow. I watched in horror as Axels mouth came back up, blood dripping down. Malcolm remained motionless, the snow below him turning red.