Chapter Fourty-Two

In the morning he wasn't there to greet me. His side of the bed was neatly made, something I've noticed he does under stress. He cleans.

It's a compulsion to make something neat when he gets like this. Not that I'm complaining that another one of his problems is cleaning under stress, it just worries me. Might as well go find him, I think he had something to tell me. I got up out of bed yawning.

I changed out of my pajamas and tied my hair in a messy bun. I took a glance at the bruises on my knuckles. That's just lovely and great. I stepped out of the room to immediately be stopped by the guard posted there.

"Sorry your highness. I have strict orders from the King that you are not to be out and wandering"

"Alright then..." I sighed, no point in arguing. "Where is he then?"

"Addressing the pack Ma'am" I nodded. I do not want to be confined this whole day.

"Can I at least get breakfast?" The man hummed his eyes glazing over.

"Listen you don't have to contact the King, I'll be quick" he stopped then motioned for me to go ahead. I smiled grateful to escape.

The man had followed me down the hall to the stairwell. We descended down and eventually found our way to the kitchen area.

I hummed happily, the kitchen being barely crowded. I went through the pans, finding the right one.

"Your highness, we don't have time to make breakfast. I'm under strict orders-" I waved him off, going to the fridge.

"You're with me. You'll be fine. Tell me, what's your name?" I glanced up at him for a second before taking out the eggs, butter, and cheese.

"James"

"All right James. As long as you are stuck with me in this dangerous journey of defying your King, we can be friends? You don't have to address me as your highness. I have a name" my hands went to work turning on the stove, putting butter onto it.

"Of course you- I mean Claire" I glanced over at him again to see him quickly look away.

"I also allow you to look me in the eye when you speak. Don't think I didn't notice that" then his eyes met mine. I smiled softly and I turned back to the stove. I continued working on my breakfast.

"Did you eat?"

"Yes...thank you" I continued to hum while making food. I need an omelet after this week.

I cracked an egg  putting it on the pan. I used the spatula, pushing the egg around. Suddenly there was laughter in the air. From the kitchen entrance, two little girls had stumbled in. They both ran up to James, tackling his legs, he still stood up.

"Daddy!" They squealed.

His face had turned into the biggest grin. He playfully waddled with both of them hanging on to his legs for dear life. I smiled lightly watching the exchange. Then from the entrance came a very pregnant woman with another baby at her hip, another girl.

"I thought you were working today? What you doing here?" She addresses him not even noticing me.

He walked up to her with the two little girls still on his legs. The baby clapped motioning to go him. He took the baby, the woman crossing her arms.

"I am. Queen Mallak. Please meet my mate Tatyana and my kids" I put the heat on low to slow cook my food then walked over. Tatyanas eyes grew wide staring at me. I put a hand out for her to shake.

"Pleased to meet you. You can call me Claire" she shook my hand, her other hand resting on her belly.

"Your highness. What an honor" I nodded smiling.

I then bent down to get eye level with the girls at James feet.

"Who are these two princesses?"

"Anaya and Katie. This is Morgan. We also have one more on the way" James spoke smiling at all the girls.

"James must I say your outnumbered" I giggled getting up to stand straight.

He shrugged, kissing his baby on the cheek.

"I'm striving for the next one to be a boy" I smiled again as he mate scoffed.

I turned back going to finish my meal. I slid the eggs onto a plate. I took a fork and sat down.

"All right ladies. Let's let the Queen eat. I will see you when I get home all right?" The woman hummed as he gave the baby back to her, kissing her cheek.

"Fine. Have a good day my Que-" then she paused. Both her and James had looked at the entrance.

My eyes followed to see a not so happy King.

"Oh D-Damien. Good morning"

"James. I said under no circumstances are you allowed to let her leave the room"' he growled.

Hastily James took the girls off his legs, shoving them back towards their mother. He whispered something to her making her quickly pull the kids out.

"I'm sorry sir. It's just the Queen insisted on letting her out and-" James looked at the floor as he spoke.

Then Damien growled once more making James jump.

"You went against my orders! My very strict orders! She could've been taken or could've died and then what I would have done to you for disobeying me"

"Damien stop it. I convinced him. It's not his fault. Leave him alone" he only glared at me. I turned to James. "You are dismissed for the day" he looked up at me with shock written on his face.

"Claire what are you-"

"James. I order you to go spend time with your family" by now Damien was fuming.

"Y-Yes ma'am" he quickly ran off. Others that were in the kitchen watched curiously.

"Everyone out. Now" Damien barked sending everyone out in a hurry.

It only left us in the kitchen area. My eyes narrowed at him, I went to take a bite of my food, then he was suddenly in front of me, snatching the fork out of my hand.

"Hey! Rude!"

"Did you seriously think that this is a good idea? Are you retarded?"

"What is the matter with you? I get the whole guard thing but let me eat before I starve to death!" He snatched the plate out of my grasp as well, going towards the trash.

He threw away my perfectly good omlet then put the dishes in the sink.

"What's the matter with me? You could've died last night! When I give a fucking order you have to listen and not be stubborn. Stop being stupid" angrily he stomped back over to me grabbing my wrist.

"Stop it. Your hurting me" I winced as he pulled me out of the chair, dragging me out of the kitchen.

When we approached the main area he put his arm around my waist, leading me. I looked at my wrist seeing a red mark from his grip, lovely.

"Go with it" he turned me towards him still holding me by the waist.

He then forcefully put his lips on mine, kissing me.