Chapter Fifty-One

I avoided him at all costs after that. I could tell that it was Liam taking over for the rest of the night. Yet I couldn't get that image out of my mind. We couldn't keep our distance for too long, we had to be close. Had to act as functional mates as we have done before.

It was very uncomfortable.

I never seen his ruthlessness like that before. So up close. It was haunting me.

He was talking to some of the older members of the council making him a bit preoccupied. Thank the heavens. I sighed in relief, getting a drink from the bartender.

Yes this little meeting had a bartender. I just got a Strawberry Daiquiri. I sensed someone had then stood next to me. I turned my head then smiled seeing it was Grayson from my last meeting I attended.

"Does the royal highness always drink when her mate is away?" I laughed gently at this pushing a loose strand of hair away from my eyes.

"No but I get away with it more when he isn't here" he chuckled as well getting a scotch.

"I'm guessing you're allowed to drink once your mate is away as well?" He took a sip, grinning a bit.

"Actually I'm still on the market. Have yet to get a mate" I hummed taking a sip of my drink.

He seemed to have move closer to me. Maybe that's just my imagination.

"But can I say this...you look rather lovely this evening"

I smiled feeling a tiny blush creep on my cheeks. "T-Thank you Grayson"

"Not a problem. So are the rumors about you true?" I raised a brow setting my drink down.

"You are a lover. Not a fighter unlike your unruly mate" I hummed at this.

"I guess that's true. He's had a tougher life than me which makes his ways...understandable"

"But that doesn't justify what he has done now...does it?" His voice suddenly grew very grim.

I paused for a second, then cleared my throat.

"Yes some of his actions aren't exactly...to please everyone. He's getting better. He isn't as cruel as he use to be" I took a glance over at him.

He must've shifted personalities, his stance was different now as he continued to speak with some of the wolves.

"So his deal with the humans. All because of that one incident he has to be cruel to everyone. How pathetic for a King" Instantly I felt a bit off about this conversation.

"Listen I don't like you talking about things you don't truly understand about-" he stopped me by laughing slightly, taking another sip of his drink.

"Relax dear. I'm only teasing you is all. It's fun to get you all riled up" I turned away from him, taking another sip.

He only chuckled, his hand landing on mine. I looked at our hands with a glare then back up from him.

"If you can't get the hint I have a mate Grayson"

"Do you love him? Even after all the treacherous things he has done to your family. Don't think we don't know about that"

"Yes of coarse I love him. Now get your hand off of me" he only then came closer.

He was right next to me, his chest rubbing up next to my arm. He whispered into my ear.

"I know your little secret. The council doesn't know but me and a few select other of my pack have decided to do a little research on you. We found things out...I don't think you want that to leak out do you?" My eyes widen.

He knows. But how?!

"You have no proof of anything about me" he then took the drink out of my hand, setting it to the other side of him.

"How much do you want a bet I don't have proof...little human" I froze staring at the drink.

There was no way I'm getting it back.

"How did you figure it out?" He shrugged taking yet another sip from his drink.

"I like to snoop. Especially when the Queen admits a very distinct smell of strawberries. But werwolves can smell like strawberries. So I went back to your pack. Started to go around. Then I found a piece of clothing your mother kept with her. It was yours. It smelled human with a mix of strawberries. I asked around also"

"If you dare attempt to hurt my family again I-"

"No you won't do anything. Not when I know your secret" then he seemed to smell me, going to the crook of my neck.

My mark starting to burn off. I winced not daring to move.

"It seems the Kings scent is starting to wear off. What a shame. Normally stress does that to scents. Strains them. I would do something quickly"

He went away from me and my gaze instantly met Axels. He did not look happy at all. He started to come over.

"What's wrong?"

"He knows. He knows I'm human. He went back to my pack and someone snitched. The scent is wavering. You said sexual interaction normally gets the job done?"

"Yes but Claire I-" I didn't care what he had to say.

I had to hide the scent.

I pulled down at his suit collar, smashing his lips to mine. He was trying to pull back but I wasn't letting him. He put his hands on either side of me on the bar, eventually giving in.

God this felt so good right now for some reason. My arms wrapped around his neck and I felt him lift me onto the bar. He gently squeezed at my butt, going towards the mark on my neck.

The thing that got me out of that daze was someone clearing their throat from behind Axel. He growled not caring and I felt his hand creep up my inner thigh.

I slapped him away making him growl again.

"If you have a problem with me showing my mate affection you can give us some privacy" he looked back at the men in the room.

A group of them tilted their heads to the side, snickering a bit. I looked down to see they were looking at my underwear, when did my legs part?!

Axel noticed very quickly, moving his arm to cover me. I blushed even harder as he only growled.

"R-Right. Excuse us for our rudeness. My King, my Queen" they all bowed their heads quickly rushing out of the room.

I just noticed we were both panting. Well actually just me. Oh god.

The door was shut and everyone was out of the room.

"What's the plan? He...he knows" I managed to say.

"I have a plan. All the council is staying in the castle for a few days just to observe. I'll handle it" I sighed in relief going to push him away but he only stayed there.

My eyes narrowed at him as he continued to stare.

"Come on we are done now. Thank you for going with it" my hand moved to caress his cheek.

He grabbed at my wrist his yellow eyes swirling.

"Your playing on dangerous waters. It's still mating season. You can't pull stuff like that anymore...it takes so much right now" I looked at him in concern.

"So much of what?"

"It takes so much power to restrain myself from taking you as mine fully. It takes everything..." He was so serious.

I only rolled my eyes deciding I was not in the mood today.

"Says the virgin" I teased pushing him off completely and walking away while adjusting my dress. I left him speechless.