Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Claire why? Why fall for his trickery?" I was cornered by my brothers after dinner. I bit my lip looking at the floor. Chase only growled again.

"Tell us the truth"

"I can't. I'm not allowed to"

"Fuck his rules Claire. You need to tell us. What is he holding against you?" Carson growled.

"We are your fucking family. We can deal with an unruly King that is hurting you" I looked up at all their angry faces feeling guilty. I can't tell them. I can't.

"You have to trust me when I say I can't. He won't hurt me if I tell you, it will hurt the kingdom. This is bigger than all of us"

"Fuck that! Your lying again!" Chase I'm not.

Just listen to me. Instead I stayed silent again. I then froze sensing him at the end of the hallway. All three of my brothers growled making me look up.

"Call my mate a liar again. I will have to take care of you" he went back to his cold tone.

"You have nerve. King or not you lose my respect when you torture my sister. Brainwashing her" Chase retaliated, approaching him in an aggressive way.

Damien's eyes only narrowed at my brother.

"I would back away if I were you. I've already been chewed out by Caleb I don't need the same back talk from you" out of anger, Chase grabbed the King by the neck slamming him into a nearby wall.

I gasped going to go pull him away but one of the twins held me back. The other twin went to help Chase. Damien wasn't fighting back, why wasn't he fighting back?

Chase had mid shifted, sending a punch across Damien's jaw. His head whipped to the side following the blow. Carson followed up with a blow to his stomach.

"Stop it! He's going to kill you!" I tried to get out of Carters grip again but he held onto me, making me watch.

Both of my brothers continued to beat him senseless making him go to the floor. I felt something drip from my nose to my upper lip. I touched it then looked at my hand. Blood. I felt lightheaded as I slowly went to my knees. Carter kept a hold on me, gently putting me down.

"Claire? Claire what's wrong?" My other brothers then looked at me in concern.

Damien only chuckled under all the pain he was in. He got up as well, the wounds immediately healing as he went back to normal. The lightheadedness went away. I wiped my nose with my shirt. No more blood was coming out.

"She marked me. That made the bond stronger. Now if you even attempt to hurt me, you're hurting her. Therefore we have a huge problem. Is that understood?" The wound on his face had disappeared as if nothing had happened at all.

I still felt weak, but as he healed I was gaining my energy.

"Bastard. That was your plan all along. Mark her. Brainwash her. Make her mark you to be Queen"

"Actually no that wasn't the original plan. Up until a month ago I offered a trade off and I was to only mark her. I was going to go against tradition so she didn't have to mark me. But things are different now"

"Different because she is a hybrid now?"

"Exactly. Now adoptive brothers or not, you tempt me again I will kill you. I don't make threats I make promises" he growled.

Carter let go of me. Carson and Chase had then disappeared I'm thin air, following with Carter. I continued to sit there on the floor shutting my eyes. Don't cry. Don't cry.

"Claire?"

"You only hurt those that get close to you, you use them" He only chuckled.

"To get what I want? Yes...yes I do" he forced me to look up at him. "But not you. Not anymore" he gently took my hand making me stand up. He helped me keep my balance.

"So your done manipulating me? Done with your games?"

"I am. You have to trust me. Noah has been away for a while, my condition has gotten better"

"How do I know your not making me a pawn right now?" His hand went to my neck, his thumb going over the mark.

It burned a bit but I kept my comments to myself.

"Trust me. I wouldn't dare"

~

My first official day of being Queen had started. The morning after the whole argument. My family had left without even saying goodbye. All my brothers, my mother, Michael....all left without even giving me a warning.

At first I was sad then I thought it was for the best. I don't want to burden them any further. I felt guilty. Guilty of having to put them through this when they took care of me when no one wanted to.

Damien said they will come around eventually but will they? My family is very stubborn, all of them. God I just feel horrible. I do.

Today he was leading me through crowd, again I was dressed elegantly but in regular clothes. A blouse and jeans with subtle heels.

I barely kept focus, my mind kept drifting away. We were being bombarded with questions about the first press conference. Damien told me to ignore and continue on. It was overwhelming.

We got back to the castle at its front gates, the press having to be stopped by the guards. Then Damien turned me back to him, his hands on my waist.

"You have to stop thinking about it ... I know your thinking about it"  I bit my lip again looking up at him.

"I'm sorry I just can't seem to get them out of my mind"   He sighed, pushing a piece of my hair back.

"I know just try for me" I looked away from him but he only made me look back into his now yellow eyes.

"Now lets give them a show. Smile for the camera" he leaned down gently kissing my lips. I kissed back falling for his spell.