Chapter Two

Both mom and I did the same thing when we were upset. Isolate ourselves. Ignore the problem at hand. Try to run away from it. But this problem wasn't something we can run away from. It was happening. We are both stubborn. I never saw her at lunch, only at dinner. I had to go out of my room because I had to make breakfast, lunch and dinner. Like always. I have to do it or else Michael gets even more upset at me. I saw Caleb a couple times with the boys. He has tried to talk to me but all I have done was push him away. Pushing him away was easier for me to cope.

There was a knock at the door. I mumbled a quick 'Come in', they opened the door, shutting it behind them. I glanced up to see, surprisingly Malcolm. I lazily tilted my head at him.

"Why are you in my room?" He shrugged, plopping himself next to me.

"Can't see my favorite human girl?"

"I'm the only human girl in your life" I responded with no enthusiasm.

"I wouldn't be too sure of that" I glanced up at him and he winked. I groaned, rolling my eyes.

"I don't feel like dealing with your sad attempts of flirting or making me jealous" I got up from my position to walk out the door but he only got in front of me with his speed.

"Hey come on. Your brother said you didn't want me, but I think you do. Give us another shot" my eyes narrowed as he motioned between us, he got closer.

"I'm not in the mood Malcolm. Not in the mood" I tried to get pass him but he only grinned still getting in my way. I gave up going back to my bed and hiding my head in a pillow.

"Look I'm sorry about your brother going to work for the...king and all. But he will be fine. If you ever need anyone to talk to about anything, you can come to me. Alright?" I sighed.

He was being nice for once.

"If I say fine will you leave me alone?" He frowned at my snap back. Then he shrugged, brushing back his reddish brown hair back away from his eyes.

He was attractive I'll give him that, but all werewolves are attractive, it's in their genes. Stupid wolf thing.

"Maybe...if you add a kiss" he wiggled his eyes brows and I just glared.

"I will scream and there will be four boys after you, you know that right?"

"Well a guy can have dreams right?" He was smooth.

I'll also give him that. I rolled my eyes, dragging him out of my room and locking my door this time. That man will forever drive me insane. Well along with my brothers that is.

~

Today was the day. Right now I'm in the middle of being briefed on how to hide. The king of wolves doesn't take too kindly to...well humans. At all. Damien Mallak is their king. The werewolf king. No one has seen him. No one knows what he looks like. Ever since his fathers death, he's been locked away in his castle. He goes out occasionally as rumor has it, but he told no one of his identity. Those who live in the castle know what he looks like. Not the general public.

"Now when they come, run to the loft. Try not to move. They have heightened hearing, even more heightened than we do. They were trained that way. If Caleb can hear you, they can hear you" I only gulped, nodding. 

Mom then came downstairs. She looked as though she had been crying for hours. Seeing her like this made me want to cry. It almost did. She walked over, all the boys were silent except for Caleb.

"Mom I-" she just embraced him.

I could hear her sniffling, trying not to sob. They shared some words, she said something to make him nod. Then she broke away and went back to her room, probably to clean up her face. Caleb looked at me.

"Fairy..." he got closer and I stared at the floor. He picked up my head by my chin.

"You shouldn't have to go" He sighed at my words.

"I don't but I am. Just listen to them alright? I don't know when I will be back. So until then stay safe and don't do anything stupid" he made me chuckle, just a little.

"Me do something stupid? Impossible" he grinned and hugged me the same way he hugged his mom. Then Michael tensed up, I saw him from the corner of my eye.

"He is here" it grew silent.

They were trying to listen for  him. Supposedly the King is here, he wanted to make his presence known as Caleb was really important to him. One of the twins, I couldn't tell who as they were identical, rushed me to the loft. He locked the hatch behind me and I hid behind the boxes stowed up there.

I could hear everything going down below me. I couldn't see anything but my own hands, they made it very dark up here. To hide me better I suppose, even though werewolves do have night vision, but only when they are really trying to see.

The door opened. I froze. I tried keeping my breathe steady. Many sets of feet entered the room below me. I shut my eyes to stay focused, no point in trying to strain my eyes to try and see.

"My king..." then a moment of silence. They had to have been bowing their heads in respect.

"At ease Caleb. You ready?" A deep voice, very powerful.

"Yes sir" he responded to the voice. To the King.

Then there was more movement. A pair of feet walked towards the loft going under it. It stopped directly underneath me.

"My king is there something wrong?" Michael asked this time. There was another pause.

"No...but it's interesting really. I smell strawberry, a scent of strawberry. Your mate smells like sandalwood. You smell like forest. Your boys a mix. But strawberry...?" The king hummed. "Who else has been here?"

"No one but my family sir. I'm sure your just smelling my mates baking"

We didn't bake today. Strawberry? I hesitantly reached for my hair smelling it. He's smelling my shampoo. My eyes widen as I almost let out a gasp.

"Why are you lying to me Michael?"

"My king your mistaken-"

"Search the house. Find the scent." My hands clenched together, I felt like panicking.