Chapter One

"Caleb! Pass me the vegetables on the counter would you?" He ran to the counter top, grabbing whatever was chopped up and put them next to me. "I'm assuming someone is hungry"

"Always fairy" I rolled my eyes at the nickname.

Ever since we were kids that's what he called me. His fairy. We used to play pretend, thinking he was Peter Pan and I was Tinker Bell. It was a human story, mother read to me to keep that human aspect. Caleb would always join, enjoying the stories as well.

The door then opened, the boys were home. At least two of them. The twins, Carson and Carter. They stumbled in, still play fighting with each other. Then they looked up, raising their noses up to smell the air. Then they noticed Caleb.

"Your home!" They were so childish.

Caleb joined in on their fighting. As usual he pinned them both down making the boys complain. Now where are the others?

One cue they came through the door. Michael and Chase. Both looked like they were training a bit rough. Their hair a mess and clothes looked like they mid shifted. Mid shifted, meaning they go halfway through the transformation to a wolf. Yes another wolf thing.

Chase smiled seeing his older brother, giving him a bear hug. Michael did the same. Then Chase came over to the table, taking off his jacket.

"How's dinner coming along?" I shrugged.

"Same as always" he hummed and leaned against the table. I just looked at him while stirring the chili. He was grinning at me. Why? "What are you looking at?"

"I might have, may or may not get you a date with that boy from earlier"

"What boy from- Chase are you serious? Malcolm?!" Earlier this buffoon decided to try and get me a date, leading up to the conversation we had.

"Yes Malcolm. He's a nice guy"

"I already tried with him remember? We just see everything a little bit differently"

"Hey come on. Just give him another shot. I heard you guys were having 'fun' the last time around" I put the spoon down. I shook my head.

"He's just trying to get in my pants"

"Hey don't think of him like that! He's my friend" he pouted. I just shook my head, going back to the food. "Just give him one shot. Just one more that's it"

"No Chase. I don't feel like getting heartbroken again"

"You haven't even really tried last time! He was your rebound remember?"

"Really? One time we will be on a date and then he will smell a scent that drives him nuts and he will leave with his mate. Not me. With another woman. So no Chase. I don't feel like going through that again. I'm sorry" without noticing I slammed down the wooden spoon on the counter, a bang following.

He just turned away, running a hand through his hair. I went back to cooking. Dinner should be served soon anyways.

~

"Oh honey wonderful as always. Don't you think so Michael?" Mom was trying to get him to 'like' me. To try and get him to not hate me.

Wolves tend to not like humans. Humans almost drove them to extinction. It's not like I associated myself with humans, I've never even met one.

"Yes it's fine" he mumbled. I barely caught it. Then both mom and him went into their 'mind link' thing. I assume they were arguing again. I sighed, just barely picking at my food. I didn't feel like eating after today.

It was silent. Everyone was just enjoying their food. Even though Michael will never admit it, he was still eating it and actually took a second bowl. I only shook my head, still barely picking at the food. Then Caleb cleared his throat.

"So...I do have an announcement" he grabbed everyone's attention immediately. "The reason I came home is...well I got a promotion"

"What type of promotion?" Mom was still eating.

"Well. I'm gonna work with the kings guard at the front" then she stopped eating. We all stopped eating except Michael. Like he knew about this...wait a minute-

"No. You can't. You will die" her immediate response.

"Mother I already agreed. I don't have a choice" her eyes widen. As did the rest of my brothers and I.

"You already agreed? Caleb are you stupid enough to risk your life for the 'king', your going to get slaughtered" Chase spoke up this time. Mom went silent, I could tell her mind was racing as her eyes were in a panic.

"It's what I must do. To do my part for this family and to spare the rest of the pack"

This can't be happening. He can't actually be serious right?

"Spare the rest of the pack? It's voluntary to go to the rogue wars!" Mom was up at the point. She was angry. I could feel the rage come off of her. "That is completely idiotic!"

"Tina sit down" Michael was completely calm. "He is doing the right thing for this family and our pack"

"Just because your Beta Michael doesn't mean you have to throw our child to the dogs!"

"I am not. Caleb made this decision and came to me for approval"

"So you did know about this before then? We are mates. Beta or not, mates come first" She then got up with her bowl, putting in the sink and going upstairs.

Her mate followed, rushing after her. It took a few for them to start arguing again. It was silent for a while at the table, then Caleb spoke again.

"Guys say something. Please...something"

"I don't think we can. Why do you want to die brother?"

"Carter I-"

"Why do you want to die?" Carson repeated. Then the twins got up, putting their dishes in the sink and leaving as well.

Caleb looked at Chase who followed after the twins without another word. He then turned to me. I finished my meal already, nothing to focus on other than him.

"Fairy..." I'm too emotional. I already felt tears well up and begin to pour down softly.

"When do you leave?"

"Friday..." I gulped the soreness in my throat. Three days. I then started to get up, trying to get out of his stare. I felt as though I'm going to break. "Fairy come on-" he grabbed my arm. He pulled me back.

"N-no stop. Get away from me!" He then released, guilt written all over his face. I ran away from him. He could have caught up to me, but he let me go. He knew I needed space.