Chapter Fifty-Two

"So why is this an emergency?" James stood at the doorway of my room.

He looked cautiously between Damien and I. Damien was sitting at the window, his eyes glazed over. It's been like this do the past hour.

"Come sit I just need to tell you something" he raised a brow listening.

He shut the door behind him then sat next to me on the bed.

"Am I getting fired? I thought I wasn't doing a bad job of protecting you-" I shook my head stopping him.

Damien's head tilted towards us as he was still mind linking someone.

"James...I'm human" his eyes immediately widen.

He laughed nervously his eyes still nervously flickering between Damien and I.

"No I...I saw your canines mark him. That's..that impossible. Humans can't have mates. Especially to the King" I sighed.

"Smell me" he still gave me a questionable look.

He went a bit closer, sniffing me a bit. Damien growled making James jump. I waved him off.

"You smell like a werewolf...I don't understand"

"That's Damien's scent. Go past that, it should smell like -"

"Strawberries. Holy shit" then he got up, backing away from me. I frowned at this.

"James nothing has changed between us. I'm still the same Claire. Please trust me"

"Humans are bad. They are worse than Rogues who are rabid creatures! I was guarding one? I just...wow" he said in disbelief.

I bit my cheek.

"You're the only other person other than our families that know about this. You are the only outsider. I'm telling you because I trust you James. You must keep this a secret. Please" it took him a minute.

Like he was thinking about what his next words were going to be. He seemed conflicted. He sighed, over looking me once more.

"It would be an honor to aid you in whatever you need my Queen" I let out a breathe in relief that he came to his senses.

Damien then got out of his mind link. He blinked a few times then cleared his throat.

"James"

"Y-Yes sir?" James immediately grew very tense.

"You tell anyone about this I will find out. Is that understood?" James nodded very quickly as an answer.

"Good. Now do you remember the old tradition of Lupus Noctem?"

"O-Of coarse I do...your mother had gotten rid of it" then both of them went into mind link.

I raised a brow watching them. James gasped his head looking towards me.

"Just tell me already. What is Lupus nokteim?" I pronounced it to the best of my ability.

They both dropped out of the mind link.

"Lupus Noctem means Wolf Night. It's a tradition the royals held for many generations until my brothers had past away. My mother didn't want to expose me to such violence anymore"