Chapter Fourty-One

The mans grip on me loosened for a split second, that was all Axel needed. He pounced snarling like an animal and got the man off of me, the knife clattering to the floor.

Both of them struggled until Axel clawed at the mans face and legs, bringing him down. The man wriggled in pain, groaning as blood began to spill on the floor. Suddenly from the stairwell, a couple werewolves began to pile in, looking in confusion.

"Some one clean up the mess. You take him to the dungeon and instruct everyone who has waken up not to touch the water supply. It's drugged" Axel commanded to them.

They looked at me, then the mess all nodding and following the orders assigned to them.

Axel came down to me, taking off the bindings and the gag. Both of us were breathing heavily from the amount of energy used just now. He grabbed my hands harshly seeing the bruising on the knuckles and the burn marks from the ropes being tied around my wrist too tightly.

He growled, his eyes glowing more. My eyes traveled down to see he was still bleeding.

"A-Axel your bleeding" he looked down at his abdomen and groaned. He shook his head, lifting me up bridal style. "Stop your hurt"

"Claire I'm fine. I have to worry about you. Now hide your hands and act drugged" I bit my cheek, putting my arms around his neck and putting my head on his chest.

I shut my eyes making it more believable.

"Your highness. Is there any more we can do?"

"I want a perimeter sweep for any more humans. We will go on lockdown momentarily"

"Is the Queen all right? Should we get the doctor?"

"She is fine. Get the doctor to treat the water and wake up anyone else that is still effected by the drug" he barked back.

I assumed the man shuffled away in a hurry. Axel started to move again and I opened my eyes to see him taking us back up the stairs, to go back to our room.

He was still breathing heavily leaving me concerned. He cursed under his breathe opening the door and stumbling to the bed. He put me down, his face tightening as if he was in pain.

"A-Axel?" His hands was covering his stab wound which should have been healed by now.

I still felt the burning sensation in my abdomen. I got up, picking up the tattered shirt to see his wound. I

then gasped seeing the skin around the stab wound look as if acid had been thrown onto it. The skin was just burning away slowly.

"Why aren't you healing? What is happening?"

He laughed nervously, holding onto the wound.  He stumbled slightly making me hold onto him and guide him to the bed. I pulled the tattered shirt off of him completely to get a better look.

"T-This is not how I expected you to taking off my clothing for the first time was going to happen love" he joked.

I shook off his comment staring at the wound. By every second it seemed to be getting worse.

"Stop joking around Liam. It's getting worse. It was just a stab, how is this happening?"

"Wolfsbane and silver...must've got in my blood stream" he laughed again, wincing in pain.

"Why are you laughing? You're hurt!" His teeth gritted as he closed his eyes.

His hands balled into fist, I could feel the pain he was in.

"I...I haven't felt pain in a long time. God this fucking hurts for some reason"

"I'll get the doctor. Please don't move" I turned to run away but he only grabbed my hand, whipping me back around.

He moved my hands to his sides as I continued to stare at the developing wound. Then it stopped. The color was starting to go to normal. I felt my self relax as the straining in my abdomen went away.

"Relax...I will get the doctor for you later though"

"If you were fine. Why did you play that nasty trick on me?" He sighed, his thumb rubbing over my knuckles.

"It wasn't a trick. You make me better. When you're around, the healing process speeds up. If I was a regular wolf, I would've been dead" I groaned shoving him slightly. He barely moved.

"Ass. Don't get me worried like that" he hummed smirking. Then he frowned.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that. I should've known they would try to take you. I should've been more on guard" he was full of regret. I frowned right after and stared.

"It's not your fault...everyone was drugge-"

"Humans took you from our bed. Out of my arms. While I continued to sleep they took you. What if they got away with you Claire? What if you hadn't been quick to wake up again? What then?"

"Stop blaming yourself. Look at me. I'm fine see? I'm right here. I wouldn't leave you"

"I was weak. I can't be weak. You are my mate. If I can't protect you then I am a failure" I was silent for a bit, he continued. "I fucked up. I should've known"

"There was no way of you knowing" I argued.

He only shook his head then pulled me into an embrace. He let out a shaky breathe, holding onto me tighter. I held him  as well, maybe he just needed a hug?

"I'm sorry I failed...I'm sorry I failed again" he whimpered.

What is this man crying? I pulled away seeing his tear filled face. Wait what?

"Why are you crying?" My hands out of instinct went to his face, wiping his tears away.

"I could've lost you...just like I lost them" I've never seen him so vulnerable. So broken. I looked at him with such concern.

"I'm here. You won't lose me. I promise"

"You can't promise that. Promises don't come true"

"Well this one will...are you okay?" Tears continued to pour down. He looked defeated.

"Tell me what's going on up there" my eyes motioned to his head. His eyes shut, shaking his head. I rested my palm on his cheek, he leaned into my touch. "Talk to me"

"They killed my brothers...they killed my father...they could've killed you and I think I would've gone over the edge"

"You saved me. That's all that matters...let's go back to bed alright?"

"B-But-"

"I'm fine. I'm fine. My bruises will heal I am fine" I guessed what he was going to ask. He went silent, I guess I guessed right.

"Claire there is something I have to tell you..."

"Tell me when we wake up. It's been a rough night and we both need some rest" he didn't argue.

I went over to the light shutting it off. I fixed my hair to be put back into a bun. He didn't move. I went back to my side of the bed, getting under the covers. He still didn't move. I sighed, adjusting myself.

"Damien..."

He snapped out of whatever daze he was in, joining me under the covers. His arms wrapped tightly around me. I let him as we both drifted off to sleep.