Prolouge

Living with four older brothers is tough. Especially when your the only girl. You never fully understand how the dynamics around the house are. For example, I still am trying to find my place. Find the 'purpose' I give to the family. I don't always want to be known as their little sister or the only girl other than mom in the family.

Or as the only human in the family. But that's something I can't change unless I get bitten by a vampire, which I do not want to happen.

I was adopted really. Well...Tina, my adoptive mother, found me. She found me when I was barely one and I was left in a garbage bin. She tells me that for some reason she ventured to the human world, almost like she knew she had to get me, like something pulled her there to do so. She took me in as her own.

Now I live with them. Her, my four older bothers and Michael, my step father. I don't call him dad, he's my step father, he never liked me much. He never took me as his own. Yes he was her...'mate'...and he was the father of all four boys, but to me he was Michael.... nothing more nothing less.

A mate is a Wolf thing. It's like one of those classic human teen movies. Soulmates or true love is what they call it. For wolves, they are destined to find their mate who is just waiting for them.

"You're going to get your mate. You know that?" I think my brother caught me staring at a couple, who were already almost about to rip each other's clothes off.

I only backed away from the railing, hugging myself to keep warm. We lived in a place where it never got warm, it was only cool for half the year and a tundra for the rest of the year. We were on the brink of the tundra half.

"I'm human Chase. Nothing will change that. Humans don't get mates...you know that". He pushed off the railing as well, coming closer to me and wrapping an arm around me to give me some of his body heat.

Naturally he was warmer, he could almost control the amount of body heat that radiates off of him. Jealous I was. I'm freezing.

"I don't care about what dad says. I got a feeling" he smiled, gently leaning against me in a side hug manner.

"That's what you said last time. You saw how that turned out" he only rolled his eyes.

"That was a mistake. You still had four, very strong very handsome men looking after you and beating that boy to a pulp" I only laughed watching him as he pulled away to flex his muscles from under his thin sweater.

"Now lets go inside. Your freezing out here"

I shrugged, following him inside. As soon as we went in I could feel the warm air, making me sigh in content. He took off his sweater, shutting the door behind us. Just under his sweater was a tank top. Again. I'm jealous. Meanwhile I had to take off the three layers of clothing just to go down to my light long sleeve shirt.

"Always love the smell of this house. Never gets old" I hummed. It always smelled warm. Warm isn't a scent I know. It just gives you to feeling of well warmth and care. Whether it be the scent of Cinnamon or Pine tree, it always made you feel warm inside. "Chase?"

He didn't respond to my remark. I turned to see his eyes glazed over. I sighed. That meant that he was 'mind linking' with someone. It was like a phone system just, it's like an echo in your mind. It's a Wolf thing. It took him a minute.

"Sorry sis. Duty calls yet again" he grabbed his sweater, putting it on. "What's for dinner tonight?"

He smiled at me. I shook my head laughing. All this boy cared about was food.

"Whatever you want. Go pick me up some deer and then maybe I can make some Venison Chili?" He smiled again.

"Your famous Venision Chili with the secret formula?" I swear he sounded like he was a four year old getting candy.

"Yes that's the one" I gave him a wink. He jumped squealing like the little girl he was and ran out the door. I had to close it as of course, he left it open.

I was the cook of the household. I learned from Mom, she is the all time best but I'm up there with her. She loves to bake mostly, entrees are my speciality but I do bake a mean Strawberry Soufflé. I sighed in content, walking over to the kitchen. I then began to take everything out, getting ready to make dinner.

~

In the middle of making dinner the door opened again. My back was turnt and I didn't bother looking at who it was. Probably one of the boys or Michael. I quietly hummed to myself. Their footsteps were light, almost as if they were trying to sneak up on me.

"I will throw a knife at you if your trying to kidnap me"

"Far from it little fairy" I turned and beamed at him. It was my eldest brother, he was stationed with the kings guard for a while.

"Caleb!" I then ran up to him, jumping into his arms to embrace him. He almost stumbled and laughed spinning me around. "I thought you weren't supposed to be back for another month!"

"I wasn't! Surprise! Where's the rest of the fam?"

"Moms upstairs somewhere and all the men are out doing 'manly things'" he laughed along with me.

"Oh your famous Venison Chilli smells delicious already" I nodded, stirring the pot of food a bit more.

"Also I have some uh...news for tonight. So make enough for everyone alright?"

I tilted my head at him but nodded anyway. He just grinned continuing on probably to see his mother.

I wonder what he has to say...