Winter First Birthday

Winter had expected a great birthday for you!! You would have cake, and presents, and more cake!! But there was one problem...

When could she have time off of work??

Winter adored you, but her job could pull her away so many times it was crazy! And for you to have a birthday with a schedule as random as hers was very unlikely.

She felt horrible. She felt like a horrible mother for not being able to do things for you, but what could she do?? Her sister didn't have time, her family didn't even know, and Ironwood would just-

Ironwood...

***

"Mr. Ironwood, I have a very special request to make." Winter hummed as she stepped into his office and shut the door. You ran over to Ironwood the moment she sat you down. Ironwood looked up from his papers.

"Yes, Winter? What can I help you with?"

"Well, sir, it's (Y/N)'s birthday coming up, and I was just wondering if...um...I could have a day off?" She whispered the last part, not wanting to sound unwilling to do her job.

Ironwood sighed. "Winter, I would love for you to have a day off to spend it with your daughter, but unfortunately I can not allow that. I'm sorry."

Winter nodded, regaining her posture, and walked out, ready to do her job as Ironwood watched you.

She walked down the halls and opened the bathroom door before crouching on the ground to cry. All she wanted was for you to be happy. Maybe if she never defied Jacques then he'd help her...

Loads of life choices began swarming in her mind as she thought of what she could have done differently and how to give you a birthday. But the answer was clear.

You just couldn't have one.

And that was that.

Ironwood, however, had a different idea.

"Your birthday soon, hm?" He asked as you sat in his lap and bit on a pen. "Well, we can't have this day a wreck for you now can we?"

***

Winter walked into Ironwoods office, only to be met with it being empty and a note telling her to meet in the large room used for parties. And so she headed there.

The moment Winter opened the door, she was met with blue balloons and confetti and people in fancy dresses and suits. But in the center of the room was her little girl in the most beautiful dress she's ever seen.

 But in the center of the room was her little girl in the most beautiful dress she's ever seen

You we're dancing with Ironwood, as he held you and spun. Your giggles we're the only sounds she heard, and everyone else was blocked out and they faded to nothing in her brain. She walked up, and Ironwood sat you down.

He shrugged. "It's her birthday, Winter."

"Thank you so much dad!" She whispered. Ironwood chuckled, and Winter went red. Sure she thought of him as a father, but she actually said it?!

He hugged her gently. "You're very welcome Winter. Next time let me help you plan it, okay?"

Winter sniffled and nodded. Ironwood cut her a slice of cake.

She smiled at him with a genuine smile, and you tugged on her hand

She smiled at him with a genuine smile, and you tugged on her hand. She looked down, hugged Ironwood one more time, and followed you to the balcony.

She really did have a family after all, and you really did have a grandpa.