Chapter 21

Chapter 21:

Anakin said something about going off to Master Yoda, he wouldn't tell me why. I have to go to Obi-Wan in the briefing room. I walk in and down the stairs as I see Obi-Wan there. The report finishes as I get comfy. I hear steps coming in I look back. Anakin finally arrives. "You're late," I sigh. 
"You missed the report," Obi-Wan starts to shut everything off. I hold my stomach, it's getting bigger. I might have to hide up in Padme's room all day. 
"Sorry, I was held up," Anakin replies. He sighs. "I have no excuse."
"The Senate are expected to vote more power under the chancellor, tonight," Obi-Wan recites to Anakin.
"Then that can mean less deliberating and more action. Is that bad?" Anakin replies. "It'll make it a lot easier to end this war." I look up at him. 
"Be careful of your friend Palpatine," Obi-Wan warns and begins to walk out.
"Careful of what?" Anakin replies. 
"He requested your presence," I stand up with a bit of trouble.
"What for?" Anakin asks.
"He wouldn't say," I sigh. 
"So he didn't inform the council? A bit strange, isn't it?" Anakin replies. I nod. He should be careful around the chancellor, he's gotten a bit odd lately. 
"All of this is strange," Obi-Wan says as we all hit the top of the stairs. "It's making me feel uneasy." Obi-Wan walks out.
"I have to agree," I sigh. "Just be aware, alright?"
"It's not me that needs to be aware, Mara," he glances at my stomach. I smile and we follow Obi-Wan. Anakin goes to the chancellor and I just wander. I cross Anakin on my way to the library. He sees me. "There you are!" he runs to me. 
"Whoa, calm down, what is it?" I ask. 
"Jedi Council, now," he pants. I nod and follow him. We get to that room and I stand by the entrance. I don't have a seat here. 
"The chancellor has asked me to be his representative in the senate," Anakin says. I widen my eyes at him. 
"Allow this appointment lightly, the council will not. Disturbing, this move is by Palpatine," Yoda says. It kind of is very odd, I don't trust that chancellor. 
"I understand," Anakin says. 
"You're on this council, but we don't grant you the rank of Master," Mace adds. Anakin's like me, we're allowed here, but we aren't Jedi Masters. Just Knights. 
"What?" Anakin asks with a hint of anger in his voice. He looks at me and back. "How can you do this? This is an outrage. It's completely unfair!" Anakin rants. I need him to calm down before he gets himself in trouble. "How can you be on the council, and not be a Master?" 
"Take a seat, young Skywalker," Mace commands. He looks at me and I place my hands on my stomach. Annie looks back at Mace and bows his head.
"Forgive me," Anakin says. He takes a seat across the room from me. He looks at me and I nod. The hologram of Ki-Andi-Mundi says something.
"We do not have many ships to spare," Obi-Wan says. 
"Maybe there may be an attack on the Wookies," Mundi says. I focus back on Anakin, I sense something bothering him, I just can't pinpoint what. 
"Then it is settled, Yoda will go to Kashyyyk. May the force be with us all," Mace finishes. Everyone stands up and Anakin walks to me with Obi-Wan trailing not too far behind him. We walk out and Anakin starts his ranting again.
"What kind of nonsense is this? Put me on the council and not make me a Master. Never been done in the history of the Jedi, not till now. It's insulting," Annie rants and rambles.
"Calm down Anakin, please," I run my finger across his hand. "It's an honor to be on the council at such a young age."
"The fact is, you're too close to the chancellor. Mara is so close to Senator Amildala. The council doesn't like it when they interfere with Jedi matters. Mara's learned to accept her place, I advise you do so as well," Obi-Wan lectures. "It seems that your friendship with the chancellor has paid off."
"Where does he come in?" I blurt. 
"The only reason the council approved his appointment is because the chancellor trusts him," Obi-Wan stops walking at a window. 
"And?" Anakin butts in.
"They want you to report on all the chancellor's dealings," Obi-Wan says in a hushed tone. "They want to know what he's up to."
"They want me to spy on him?" Anakin asks. "But that's treason."
"They didn't give the assignment to you because it isn't going to be on record," Obi-Wan informs. 
"But he isn't a bad man," Anakin says to us.
"I'm not saying he is, I just sort of don't trust him," I sigh. Anakin looks at me with shock in his eyes. 
"You have to admit, something feels out of place," Obi-Wan hisses. Anakin turns his back on me. 
"You're asking me to do something against the Jedi code," Annie looks out the window. "That's what's out of place." 
"Annie," I whisper. "The council is asking this of you. Just as they ask much out of me." Obi-Wan walks away.
"They shouldn't be asking that from me. They shouldn't be asking you to do such tasks. You shouldn't even be here, you should be protected and safe," he comes and looks at my tummy.
"Annie, if they find out, I'd be expelled and you will too if they find out you're the father," I sigh. "This isn't easy."