Chapter 59: The King of Light

I wake up with a start, when I realize we aren’t flying anymore.

“Where are we?” I ask, my voice echoing for some reason.

“Flax dropped us off here, we’re in some cave area.” My mother says beside me.

I look out at the area, and realize what we really are in.

“We’re not in a cave, we’re in a city. Alexandi Hall.” My mother squints a little, and then she gasps, seeing what I am seeing.

“It… still burns? These fires should have long burned out!” She exclaims, as she gazes on the burning city. I didn’t understand it either, but I knew we couldn’t waste time.

“Come on, let’s try and find Alexandi, he has to be around somewhere. But where would he be…?”

Mother gazes at the center of the city, where the palace stands.

“I have a feeling I know where we need to go. The last place where he was alive.” More than anyone else, Mother probably is the single best person to talk to about what happened to Alexandi, as she was the one who fought him to the death in their last battle.

Come, and face your old foe, and learn the truth of the past, as well as your future. Here, where it all began, and here, where it will all end.”

I whirl around, to see who spoke to me, but there was no one there. My mom looks at me with concern.

“Are you alright, Dani?” I don’t answer right away, but eventually slightly shake my head yes.

Why am I hearing these voices? First I start understanding Anceint Dragonic, and now I’m hearing voices. What’s going on?

Troubled, I make my way down to the city, and into the streets, Mom following close behind. I look around, puzzled.

“I guess I should be grateful, but why are there no bodies or skeletons here? Countless people died here…”

This place is forever trapped, in memory. Lost between the past and the present, ever wandering.”

I look straight ahead, and see a faint outline of a figure, walking away from us, towards the city center. I start after it, rushing to catch up with it, but it simply walks faster, and eventually disappears. Mom catches up with me and yells,

“What’s with you? You’re acting strange! You just chased after…” She pauses as we realize where we stand.

At Alexandi’s Palace. We look up at the steps, and see none other than Alexandi walking down the steps.

“Hello, Danica Crown. I have been waiting, for a while now. It’s good to see you, again. And you too, Elizabeth.” He smiles after he finishes speaking, while I just stare at him, stunned.

He looks nothing like before.

He has long black hair, which part of it covers the left half of his face, and deep blue eyes, filled with all the years he has lived, full of both joy and great pain. His rather frail body is covered by a black cloak, while wearing light armor. The stories I remember about him depict him as a more strong, mighty being, and yet I can’t help but think…

“That I look rather weak? Considering my position, I am.” He says, his voice rather hoarse.

“How are you…?” Mom whispers.

“I’m not, actually. When Danica slew Light, number seven of the Covenant, a part of my soul was returned to me. I am still quite, ah…. dead.”

He attempts a smile, but instead doubles over, coughing.

“Pardon me,” He says with one last cough, “But I’m not in the best state anymore… please, come in. I have much to discuss with you.” With that, he turns and walks back up the steps, the doors of the palace open for him, and he turns and looks down at us.

“Well, come on. You don’t have time to waste.”

I look over at Mom, and I dare to ask,

“Should we trust him?” Mom laughs dryly.

“I really don’t think there’s a choice. Besides… what if he can save Alexander somehow?” I reluctantly nod.

“Alright. Let’s hurry up and see what he wants.”

We advance up the steps, unsure of what awaited us ahead. When we reach the top, Alexandi proceeds inside, and we quickly follow suit, the rather haunting city outside was less appealing. But the interior was still not exactly orderly, it was like someone had taken a sledgehammer to everything. Alexandi walked through two double doors, as if he wasn’t solid, and the doors quickly open for us, and we head inside, into a massive throne room.

The doors close slowly behind us, and we look for Alexandi, but don’t see him.

“Where’d he go?” I ask Mom.

“I’m up here.” Alexandi calls from the opposite end of the throne room, seated on a broken throne. “Come, and sit down. We have much to discuss.” He indicates two chairs, one for each of us. We walk up to them, and slowly sit down, slightly weary of him.

“Good, now… it’s time to talk, Danica. Get comfortable, because we’re going to be here for as long as it is absolutely necessary.” I get uncomfortable really fast.

“But what about Alexander?” I blurt out.

His eyes narrow sharply as he frowns. “Alexander? What about him?”

I get irritated, really really fast. “You mean you didn’t know that Alexander is on his deathbed?! We came here because we thought you knew and were going to help…” He raises a hand to silence me.

“In any case, Danica. Don’t worry about it. I’ve stopped time outside of the city, so you don’t have to worry about it.”

I gasp in shock.

Did he just say… he can stop time?!