Chapter 25: So It Begins

Chapter Twenty Five: So It Begins

Mom was standing at the launch pad of the base when I got there. She had worry in her eyes, but she also radiated confidence in me. I smile, and walk up to her to say goodbye. She smiles, then gives me a stern look. “Don’t you get yourself hurt, young lady.” She sternly tells me.

I smile. “I won’t, mom. I’ll be back soon.” She nods.

“I know you will. Take care of yourself.”  I nod, and step onto the military jet.

“See you later, mom.” I am filled with a sense of closure for some reason. Shaking my head, I get it out of my system. I have to think about this mission. I signal the pilot, and he starts the takeoff sequence. I give my mom one last goodbye, and wave as the ship lifts off, hurtling towards our destination.

We are traveling over a large stretch of the Alasian Ocean, when a soldier taps on my shoulder. “Hey, your majesty? I wanted to ask you a question, if you don’t mind.” I nod.

“Go ahead. I’m bored anyway.” He sighs, and asks,

“So why are we helping this Alexander? Didn’t he try to kill your grandfather?” I sigh. He gets nervous, and stammers,

“I- I’m sorry if I upset you or anything…” I smile kindly.

“No, you’re fine. It’s just that I gave a promise to someone to get him out of the prison, and I just hate breaking promises. There’s a lot going on as well, and I just don’t understand any of it.” I groan, and rub my temples, frustrated. I eye the area outside, and I can see the faint outline of the Dragonling Isles. I begin to wonder what is going on with Alexander.

            I am quite calm, despite everything. Despite the fact I was imprisoned, probably going to be executed in some manner, betrayed by Tom and rest of the Gem Council, I felt calm, almost at peace. I curtly laughed to myself at that word. I haven’t been at peace, for a long time. How can I, when I’ve gone through things no one has been ever forced to endure? I found it ironic that Naltheria was trying to help me, when it was her fault that we all ended up in a bone scorching desert. It was even more ironic that she was sending the Crown brat to help me. My life is full of irony, I guess.

One would ask me, what have I suffered? Why would I hate the Crowns so? I would say to them they should not ask what they can’t understand. I can’t trust anyone to understand how I feel. In these thousands of years of life I’ve lived, I’ve been beaten, tricked, lied, betrayed, loved, hated, ditched, and worst of all, people imagine, even dare to assume they can understand me, or what I’ve gone through. It makes me sick, the way people try to feel sorry for me. As if sorry could ever undo the millions of deaths of civilians, women, and CHILDREN, whole families, wiped out, for a madman’s hatred.

Sorry, will never save Danica from the woe of my kind’s wrath, who view it as if her grandfather’s sins was her own. I would have no quarrel with her, were it not for the fact that she above all others, truly seems to think she can understand, she seems to think that sorry will be enough. It’s just one reason that I hate and despise her. I hate her not because she’s a fairy, but because she wrongs me with her reasoning. With her pathetic belief that it’s just that easy to understand another person. She’s wrong. All of them. They’re all wrong. About everything.

And they’re wrong about one thing in particular, that only I, and a select group know about. The world shall soon be plagued with a violent darkness, and there is no one to stop it.

And I care not to divulge this information.

As we fly over the compound, I gulp. This was not going to be an easy operation. Let me clue you in. I only have like fifty loyal men against several thousand Phazer armed guards, a dozen assorted dragons, and let’s add this in… there was no way we’d get in without being seen. There was spot lights, dragon back patrols, the prison was built on a sheer cliff, and also, my luck sucks.  It was going to take both skill, and luck, the latter was not going to be on our side.

“Alright guys, let’s get ready to do this thing.” The men gear up, strap their weapons to their armor, and rally their courage for the most dangerous mission they’d ever undertake in their lives. And there was no turning back.

“Alright guys, it’s time for extraction! Move out!” With that, we begin to disembark, dropping at high speed from the clouds, right over the prison. It’s party time. Only, with Phazers and bullets.