Chapter 56: Abyss of Shadow (Dragon Tide Act 3 Finale)

Chapter 56: Abyss of Darkness

As soon as the blade retracts from my back, I turn around to face my enemy, blood oozing from my wound. My eyes widen in terror as I gaze on a being of pure darkness, standing where Alexander lay only a moment ago.

“Who… who are you?” I stammer in fright, the being radiating pure malice.

“I go by many names, but I am commonly known as Sakor ni’Cordo, the Darkness Within The Heart. I am born from hearts who have fallen beyond the reach of the gentle Light’s embrace. All hearts are born pure, but over time, life makes them age, and darkness grows. From there, the choices and experiences the person endures affects their spiritual balance. I am the ultimate outcome for those who cannot let go of hatred and suffering, and all negative emotion.”

I scowl. “I don’t care. Just get lost and leave him alone!” He chuckles darkly.

“You will have to make me.”

I swing my sword, enraged. “I said leave him alone!” He dodges, cackling madly.

“Or what? You’re going to swing that stupid sword of yours again? Oooh, I’m quite terrified. You should make it a hobby, scaring people, you’re quite good at it. NOT!” He cackles, earning…

“TAKE A BOULDER TO THE FREAKING FACE YOU BASTARD!” I roar, hurling a massive rock at him, smashing him into the head. When the dust settles, he appears from it, rubbing his head as if I just hit him with a far smaller rock.

“Ow, you didn’t have to hit me THAT hard,” He says mockingly.

“SHUT UP!!” I roar, punching him straight in the face. For a moment, all is still, then…

“Darkness rules, within all hearts. Even yours. You want me to leave him alone? Fine. But see the consequence of your decision when he becomes the one who will kill you.” Suddenly, the being explodes into black glass, leaving a furious looking Alexander standing in its place.

He draws his massive two handed sword, but not just any sword: his famous Oathbreaker, the Sword Who Leaves None Alive.

“Before I kill you… tell me this. Why is it that you fight? After all you’ve done, I still do not understand. Why do you even fight? Why? Why did you save me when I was imprisoned? Why have you gone all this way- why have you fought all of these battles, when you could have just walked away from all of this?”

I narrow my eyes, the fires of determination rage within my eyes, and I know he can see them, because he flinches.

“The reason why I fight, Alexander, is to protect those I care about. My family, my home, my nation, my friends. I fight so that they may live in peace, no matter what the risk is to me, I would gladly die trying to protect them!” He is silent for a moment.

“But what does that have to do with me? Why did you fight… for me?” He asks quietly.

“Because I can see your pain, Alexander. You’ve been alone all of this time, no one to be there in your darkest hour. I fought for you, because I realize now, that we are not so different then I once thought. We’ve both lost family, but I was lucky. You were left alone to suffer in your agony. I fought I guess to save you from yourself.”

He closes his raging eyes, and is silent.

When he opens them up again, the red glare has gone, instead, beautiful blue eyes, hardened by countless years of suffering, anger, and hatred gaze on me with a steely calm.

“Indeed, Danica, you are truly an exception to the rule that all Crowns are incapable of understanding. You can open your eyes and not judge, even your enemies. However… the crimes of your family are unforgivable. …Forgive me… but for one last time… one last battle… I will unleash my full wrath, my hatred, my desire for revenge… I will unleash it all… I will not give an inch… I will… I WILL GIVE IT ALL SO THAT FOR THE SAKE OF JUSTICE, FOR THE SAKE OF MY FAMILY, I, WILL, KILL YOU!” Alexander finishes with a roar, the force of which sends the nearby skyscrapers collapsing to the ground, the concrete to crack and buckle, and the leaves in the trees to be blown out, all in a 50 mile radius of destruction.