Chapter 64: War Carried On Ships

I look up at the sky, deep in thought.

“What are you thinking about, Alexander?” Wintress’s voice calls out from behind me. I smile and turn to face her.

“It’s nothing, dear.” She frowns at me, knowing fully well I’m lying.

“Stop looking at me like that, Wintress. I… I’m thinking about the Insurrection, Tom, and so much… I can hardly stand it. And also…” She stops me with a finger.

“I know, Alexander. You’re thinking about Danica. I am too. Why did she save us, what is her reason? I’m wondering that myself. She is certainly different then her parents, even her grand…” I cut her off before she can say his name.

“I don’t want to hear that name right now, Wintress. Get something to eat, grab a nice drink from that restaurant. I have something I need to check on.” I watch her leave, then I turn to face the direction of the Crown Castle estates.

“There is something I want to know… and I will have my answer…” I say to myself in a low voice.

Danica’s Palace

I enjoy the relaxing hot shower, letting the water flow down me, trying to at least bury my troubles for a while.

So what happens now? Do we just wait for Ramok to awaken again or is there another complication? Ugghh… wait. Is someone in my room?

Fortunately, I had a spare change of clothes, and I remembered to lock the bathroom door.

“Who’s there?!” I yell, not wanting to get out of the shower.

Alexander calls from the room,

“After you are done, can I talk to you? There’s something I need to ask you!” Jeez, that guy can’t use a door? I assume he like every other annoying guy decided to go through the window.

“Fine! Just give me a minute, and get out of my room! I’ll call you when I’m… decent.” I hear him leave with a flap of his wings, and I sigh irritably. Why does he always have to be a pain?

Once I have finished, I put on my change of clothes and with a temper, slam the door behind me, my skin still steaming from the hot shower.

“What do you want now, Alexander?!” I yell, waiting for a response. “Alexander?” I call out again, when he doesn’t respond.

“I want to know why you saved us.” He says in a low voice from behind me. “There was no need to bother saving me. You could’ve just let me die. It probably would’ve been better that way.”

I just stare at him confused.

“Why, did you help me? I don’t understand why. I’ve tried to kill you AND your family on multiple occasions, and I also have been a total ass to you. Why would you help me?”

I smile. “So you admit it! Finally some results!” He gives me a momentarily look of puzzlement before it turns into a hysterical fit of laughter.

“Ha, ha, ha, I didn’t realize you had a sense of humor!” He gasps between fits of laughter, and soon I start laughing too.

Once we’ve both calmed down, he cracks a faint smile, which slowly evaporates into a serious expression.

“Danica, I just wanted to tell you… I’m sorry for what I’ve done to you. It wasn’t your fault for what happened to me and my friends and family several years ago. I’m going to let that go now. But, I will NOT forgive your mother, and your grandpa. If anything, Quin should have died. Then at least things would have been made right.” He says all of this in a bitter tone.

I put a hand on his shoulder, and he seems a little surprised by the gesture.

“We can still do that, can’t we? Wasn’t Alexandi’s goal to have peace in the world?” Alexander looks at me in surprise.

“You are full of surprises. It almost sounds as if you reject your people’s side of the story.” He says this with a mocking sort of grin.

I smile back. “I at least have learned that our story is flawed. Your people suffered as well, only a fool would disagree.”

“Hmmph.” He lets out a small huff.

Suddenly, he grows tense. I raise an eyebrow at him.

“What now?” I ask, a little irritated.

He looks at me with a guarded expression.

“Trouble. A lot of it. Tom’s here, and he brought out his big guns.” And that’s when the bomb dropped. Quite literally, a huge explosion rocks the palace, and I hear an intense, low hum in the air. I pale, recognizing it at once.

“That isn’t… an airship… is it?” I stammer. Alexander has a very grim expression on his face.

“It is. In fact, there’s about a hundred over the city.” My jaw hits the floor.

“Are you serious? And since when did Dragonlings have Airship technology?!” I yell.

Alexander sighs, and rubs his temple, as though he has a headache.

“We achieved Airship technology two years after we disappeared.”

I groan. The Elves achieved it five years ago… which means that would make Dragonlings technologically superior with Airship Technology.

“So… what’s the plan Alexander?” I ask hopefully.

His face tightens with anger.

Ooooh boy.

“I’m going to kick Tom’s ass.” I pretend to wince.

“Why the language, Mister Dragonling?” I put my hands on my hips.

He turns and looks at me, a smirk on his face.

“Because I hate babies like Tom who can’t let the past go.”

Ironically….

“And don’t say ‘Ironic, that you acted the same way. Don’t forget I can still read thoughts!” He jumps out the window, and I elect to choose a much safer mode of transportation: walking out the door.