Chapter 11: More Discoveries

Ryan looked at himself in the mirror. He had just taken a shower, something he hadn't done for months. He shaved his face and he looked very clean. His long hair felt clean and his scalp fresh. He wondered if he could get a haircut, long hair was not his style. He had grown to accept it because he thought he would stay a peasant for the rest of his life. Now this Creator was offering him a new beginning and he needed to look the part.

He looked at the clothes he was given and then he smelt them. He loved how the clothes smelt brand new. He couldn't remember when he last bought anything new. Just then the door opened and Jade entered the room.

"Why aren't you dressed yet? It's time," she told him. Ryan nodded and quickly got dressed. A few minutes later Ryan joined Jade outside of his room and she led him to a place in the building that resembled a laboratory. He saw a table waiting for him to be strapped on.

"Don't be afraid, trust us," Jade told Ryan as she noticed that the expression on his face had changed. "We are gonna change you for the better, please strap in."

"After the hell you went through and seeing who you've become today, I trust you both completely," Ryan told Jade and he allowed himself to be strapped onto the table without hesitation.

Something inside of Ryan told him to just go with the flow; he really didn't have anything to lose. He had lost his home, his job and his fiance never showed up at their wedding. He knew that anything would be better than the life he was currently living.

"Just relax and we will do the rest," Jade told him.

Once she saw that he was ready she went to her computer and a few minutes later she was joined by her boss.

"He is ready," she told him.

"Good. Everything is going as planned."

Jade activated the project protocol and the same creatures that bit Skyler came out of a highly secured room. However, they were being controlled by Jade. She guided them towards Ryan and they started to bite him and he screamed out in pain but Jade continued her job until he lost consciousness.

"The job is done," her boss said. Jade nodded at him and then guided the creatures back to the highly secured room.

"I was thinking sir," she said as she observed Ryan's motionless body, "what about the other subjects that are out there in the city? Those we didn't manage to get here..."

"With the powers that they will get they will cause chaos and we can recruit them."

"But what's taking them so long sir?"

"Patience my apprentice! All in good time, all in good time."

********

Skyler paced up and down in her quarters. She knew that she had behaved wrongly but she couldn't help but feel right about the wrong that she had done. She thought back at what happened and was submerged with a cocktail of emotions from feeling guilty for shoving her sister, to knowing she can read minds, to the inner surge of power that she felt and that her hands had become her main weapon. She had nothing to say that could justify her behavior. Frustration and anger had consumed her inner soul and all she wanted to do was get into a time machine and travel back in time. Just then Melanie entered her room, Skyler was relieved to see her but at the same time she did not know what to say.

"I'm sorry," was all she could blurt out to Melanie after a few seconds of silence. Melanie looked at her and smiled sympathetically.

"It's okay Skyler, I'm sure you didn't mean to do what you did," she replied.