Breaking Protocols

(LUBAO)

"Is this wise? You are breaking protocols for him," I said to SengYou while we are standing on the foot of Dayu's bed. "His family should be here. And I know Qing loves Dayu but he is not family. Not according to Dayu's records we submitted."

"Change the record," Qing replied to what I said. "Make it so that I am the sole person allowed to be by his side while he is sick,"

I moaned in despair for him. "Look here, Wang Qing...I am willing to bend a lot of rules for you but this is a big offense that a lot of people won't overlook. I cannot manipulate Dayu's record to show that you have the sole rights as his guardian. He got living parents and grandfather. Family, blood relations, relatives...all alive and breathing that according to the law and our hospital's policy have rights to be with their son. So...for goodness' sake let the Fengs see Dayu." I turned to SengYou, "Talk some sense to your brother."

My handsome boyfriend frowned at me. "What made you think he will listen to me?" He asked me back.

My jaw slacked at his reply. I lowered my tone to hiss at him. "You are his brother. His older brother! And in charge of Dayu's condition. You can get questioned once the Fengs complain to the management for being barred to see their relative. You are risking your career for your brother's stubbornness. And your father...oh my..."

I feel a headache coming on. This is dangerous. Qing preventing Dayu's family to see Dayu can cause a scandal for the hospital and the people in charge of monitoring Dayu's health, which is Qing's own father and brother. My boyfriend...

"Look," I try again. "I get it, you are mad. I am mad too. Heck we are all mad, but the truth still remains that Dayu is sleeping in that bed and his record shows he got family. The hospital's protocol is the only people allowed to be with the patient are his family written on his record..."

"That is why I am asking you to change the record..." Qing gave me a sharp look.

I lost it, "We cannot change the record, you stupid baboon! That will be a crime and we can all be sued for that..." someone touched my arm. "What?!" I glared at my boyfriend.

SengYou shook his head and tightened his hand that held my arm. "Stop pushing for it. Qing will not change his mind. You are just working yourself up to having an attack like Dayu. Just let it be for now. Calm down. Take a deep breath." My boyfriend used his doctor tone on me.

I took a deep breath to calm myself. I even closed my eyes for maximum effect. "Okay. I am calm now," I said after opening my eyes. "What will we do if the Fengs complained about this?" I asked SengYou.

"I don't know..." SengYou said.

Oh I want to smack his head. I want to pull his hair and Qing's hair and smash their heads against each other.

But I will not do that, because I am rational and calm and I just had SengYou and I love him.

Shit! So many reasons not to hurt my boyfriend.

Someone phone rings and SengYou excused himself. "Baba is calling me. I have to take this." He moved to one corner of the room to take that call.

I sighed while staring at Dayu. His colors are coming back. I cannot believe how pale and white he was when they first got here this afternoon. Dayu looks like death warmed over. He was so pale.