Tips

(QING)

It took seven days for my car to be repaired. The car shop owner had to wait for a day for the right color of car paint to arrive to be applied to scratched part of the convertible.

The amount of the repair: too much. But I have no intention of letting Dayu pay for it.

A gentleman doesn't let a lady pay.

And Dayu is a lady. That's what he said.

I smiled when I remembered Dayu. His eyes glazed, cheeks flushed in indignation when he slapped me, his chin trembling slightly. He was so drunk that night he is cute.

But as cute as Dayu is, I know I have to approach him with care.

This is a first for me. I am gay, I have no experience in dating women. How do one exactly date a lady? I am used to dating guys. It's what I know. Sometimes, my straight male friends will look at me and say...

"Darn Qing, you are really smart. I think you have the right idea. Date a guy, it's less hassle. Dating women, it's a pain man. Stay gay. Your life will be easier...believe me."

I think that is a dumb statement. Dating is hassle. Whether you are dating a dude or a lady, it's all hassle inducing. Stressful. But also fun and exciting. Dating is discovering. Getting to know that person.

Sure, maybe dating another guy is easier than dating a girl. I mean, I have never dated a girl before, so what do I know? But basing on my straight guy friends who do have experiences in dating girls, I heard it's a lot of work.

Well, I have work to do then. Because if I want to date Dayu...I have to do some serious work. Dayu is a girl. Inside. Dayu may look like a guy outside but inside, Dayu is a she. And I have to be careful in handling that part of Dayu.

So I turned to my good friend, LiYan, for advice.

LiYan and I both work in the Marketing Department of KaiShing Brewery. She is my secretary. She is straight, girl, fabulous and a nightmare to date with. Or that is what she claimed.

"I am high maintenance, Qing." LiYan said as she opened a face powder to check her make up. "I like dining in classy places, driving out of town, drinking expensive wines and getting glittering gifts. If there is diamond to be found, I am happier."

"In short you are materialistic," I said.

"No! I am a girl. It require efforts to impress me. And to make me happy," She argued.

I frowned, "I think everyone requires efforts to make them happy," I said.

"Exactly!" LiYan turned to me with her cat like slanted eyes and unsmiling thin lips. She is also tall, in the curvaceous side and likes to wear powerful lady suits. Pants and all. LiYan gave me an impatient look, "Why are you asking me what's the difference between dating a girl and a guy? There is no difference, Qing. You make efforts. You take time to know the person. Then you will know what she likes. Simple. Guys make it sound like dating us girls is too complicated. No, it's not. Be sincere to us, we are yours. Be true to us, we are yours. Be loyal to us, we will trust you. What's the big deal?"

"So in short...?"

LiYan sighed, "Us girls, we like guys who make us feel like we are the girl in the relationship. Someone you respect. Someone you handle with care. Someone you want to protect. Someone you trust who can stand on her own but you are willing to shield if necessary. We still like knights in shining armor and Prince Charming, you know. Forget about feminists who said girls can save themselves now. We like guys who will be willing to leap to a certain length to protect us. But don't smother us with strict rules. Hover over us, sure, but give us some breathing room to breath and listen to us bitch sometimes. Girls love to whine and bitch, we don't actually required you guys to agree with our opinion, but listening is a must. Understand."