Old Men

(FENG LIXONG)

I waited in silence for the approaching car to come closer. When the other car stopped, I signaled my driver to open the door of the backseat for me.

I walked, aware that the occupant on the other car had stepped down too, closer to the railed edges of this overdrive cliff. Back in 1950's, this place still has no rail and trees are more abundant.

But now, this place serves as a resting place for bike riders and roadtrippers.

I heard and felt more than see the man who stopped walking to stand beside me. We both took moments to look down at the lights and dark, tall shadows of the buildings in the city.

"I hope you have a good excuse for summoning me, LiXong." Wang Guan sneered. "I hate to think that I ran here like an obedient dog summoned by my master..."

"You still talk too much," I scoffed at him. "Is there anything more important than our grandchildren? I don't know about you, Guan, but for me, Yu is my everything."

I stared at this man. My enemy. Wang Guan. Tall, broad shouldered with bold features, Guan has aged well. No surprise because he got money now.

But no matter how rich he became or how far he has gone through, it doesn't change the fact that once upon a time, this man polished my shoes and ate my scraps.

A servant.

Guan gave a shallow, hollowed laughter. "I am banking on that, LiXong. I am happy to learn that you still have a weakness."

"And Wang Qing is not a weakness to you?" I sneered. I turned a hard stare at Guan. "Tell that boy to stay away from my Yu..."

Guan gave me a lopsided smile. The smile he used to bestow at me with teasing and amusement. "You don't know that your grandson is gay, right?" He asked me, mockingly.

"My grandson is not gay," I said in an adamant tone.

Because it's true, Yu is not gay. He is...a girl. Like how he always phrase it. My grandson...my poor Yu. I will do everything to protect my grandson.

That includes pushing this Wang Qing away from Yu. "But my grandson's sexuality has nothing to do with you. It's not your business..."

"It is my business if Wang Qing is acting crazy because of your grandson," Guan cuts my words this time. "You should lock your boy away, LiXong, before I do something to him."

That prompted for fury to rose on my chest, "Are you threatening my grandson, Wang Guan? I think you should be careful of your next words..."

"It is not a threat, but a promise, LiXong. If you don't want your grandson and your name dragged through the mud, lock that boy away from my grandson. I will destroy him, LiXong." Guan looked so serious as he said it. "I don't like that boy for Wang Qing."

"We are on accord then." I nodded. "I will also never accept your grandson for my Yu, Guan. Rest assured, they will never meet again."

"I feel assured," Guan smirked mockingly, the lack of sincerity in his tone evident. "We are already old, LiXong. Let's keep our deal. Stay in the East side of Beijing and I will stay in the West. Separated. Our paths, rarely crossing. I have to endure the fact that you are still breathing the same air I am breathing, don't make me endure your grandson too. I might go crazy."

"Then why not die first, Guan. If you are tired of breathing the same air I am breathing, then just die. Don't worry, I will send flowers for you." I said in even tone.

Wang Guan's eyes flashed in irritation. "You don't change at all you pompous arrogant bastard..." he said, in a tone filled with disgust. "Don't bother sending flowers. Even if I am eager to join my wife in the afterlife, I cannot die until I am assured that Qing will not fall into your grandson's hands." He smirked at me. "Remember my wife...?"