Decision

(FENG MILEN)

I almost choked on my tea after I heard what the helper, who approached us while we are having our afternoon tea, said.

My husband, who is sitting beside me i our living room sofa, frown at the helper, "What do you mean Yu is asking helpers to take down his luggages?"

The helper winced uneasily at us. Clearly uncomfortable, "You asked us to tell you if Young Master Yu gives us strange order. Well, he just asked us to carry down his luggages from his room. In my humble opinion, Sir, I think the Young Master is thinking of taking a trip."

"A trip?" My father in law shook his head. "Yu never mentioned something about wanting to go on a trip," he looks at me. "Daughter, does my grandson finally expressed the desire to take a vacation away from Beijing?"

"No, Baba." I shook my head. "Yu had been busy writing. He also never mentioned to me any desire to go on a trip. ZhuTuan?"

"Neither on me. I thought Yu is taking his time to finish his novel before deciding what he wants to do next." My husband stood up. "Maybe I should check up on him," he said.

"I will come with you," I stood up as well.

"No need to check up on me," we all stopped when we heard Yu's voice on the living room threshold. I turned my head and saw my son standing there.

"Yu ah," I called his name in a faint tone. Then I smile. My son, he looks...normal again.

Gone are his dresses and headbands and clips. And the dainty slippers. The make up on his face are noticeable missing too. Instead, it looks like Yu only used his lip balm.

He is in button shirt and trousers again. On his feet, his favorite leather shoes.

The only trace of the woman inside my son are the quaint diamond earrings on his lobes.

My son...he is back to normal. I feel, so happy.

"Yu ah, are you going on a trip. Why did you asked the helper to carry down your luggages from your room?" ZhuTuan's question brought me to the present.

"Is it true, Yu ah?" I seconded my husband's questions. "You should have told me that you want to take a trip or vacation. I could accompany you. I think Singapore's weather is nice nowadays. Or maybe Dubai..."

"I am not going on a trip," Yu said before fully entering the living room. "I think we should sit down. I have something to say."

The happy feeling I have inside me slowly dwindled. "The last time you told us that you have something to say, it resulted to us meeting the Wangs." I felt distaste saying that family's name.

"Mama," Yu gave me an imploring look. "Sit down and hear me out." He went to a solo armchair to sit. ZhuTuan and I had no choice but to sit back on the long sofa.

Yu gave his grandfather a look first before turning back to us. "I am leaving. But not to take a vacation or a little trip. I finally made a decision." He paused to sigh and sit straighter. He looked us straight into our faces. "Qing and I decided to live together."

It took us some seconds to understand what he is talking about.

"Live together with..." ZhuTuan gave me a confuse look. He is probably feeling the same confusion that I am feeling. "But we thought you and that boy..."

"We didn't broke up." Yu confesses. That admission made me gasp and my father in law to scowl. "What kind of craziness is this now, Feng Jian Yu? I thought we are done with this business..."