Moments

(DAYU)

"Did you know?" My father asked me in a quiet tone so no one close by can hear us.

"Know what?" I feigned ignorance.

"Feng Jian Yu," Mama gave me a disapproving look while my Grampy remained stony faced standing beside my father. "You know what your father is asking about. The Wangs. They are here. Did you know that they will be here?"

"And what if I know that they will be here?" I asked them back. "Will you cancel getting into this event if I told you? You can't. Baba's colleagues are here, he has to be here. He is an invited speaker. So what if the Wangs are here?"

"Then I would have left you in our home," Grampy said.

"I can go home," I volunteered with a smile on my face.

"No," Mama shook her head. "The last time we left you on your own to attend an event, you met Wang Qing."

And yet here we are, in an event and I am still meeting Qing. My family just couldn't get any break. I almost pity them.

Almost. But not quite. They are still scowling at me like I did something wrong.

My life...really.

"Hello...Jian Yu?" A new voice entered our gathering. I look sideways and saw a guy who is about the same age as me. "Hi. It's me. Chen LuBao. Primary school."

"Chen...LuBao? Baobao?" My mouth slacked a little as I stared at my former classmate back in primary school. Chen LuBao.

Mischievous with an angelic face little Baobao.

"Yes!" LuBao nodded. "It's me. Oh my. Feng Jian Yu, as I live and breath. How are you..? Oh hello, Sirs. Ma'am." My former classmate greeted my family.

I turned to my family as well, "Grampy, Mama and Baba...this is Baobao, my classmate back in primary school." I gestured to my former classmate. "Chen LuBao. Sorry, I still call you BaoBao in my head."

"Oh, call me BaoBao, that is okay, Jian Yu. How are you?" BaoBao held his hand out to me.

"I am fine. It's nice to see you again," we shook hands. "This are my family. My parents and grandfather," I gestured to my family.

"Hello, Sirs, Ma'am." BaoBao shook my family's hands before smiling at me, "It's been so long. The last time I saw you was before you and your family flew to the US because..."

"Because my Grammy was sick and she was treated there." I finished his words.

"Right. Your Grammy...is she okay?" BaoBao asked.

I shook my head, "She passed away..."

"Oh my...I'm sorry." BaoBao gave an apologetic look at my family. "I'm truly sorry for bringing it up."

"That is okay." Mama acknowledged his apology. "It seems like you and our Yu are quite excited to see each other. Were you friends back in primary school?"

"No," I said. "BaoBao is too cool back then and I am..."

"Jian Yu was always holding a book. He kept to himself. But I always want to befriend him." BaoBao smiled at me. I shyly smile back at him. "Maybe we can catch up now?" BaoBao asked me.

I gave him an unsure look, "Oh, I don't know..." I said uneasily.

BaoBao turned to my family, "Can I borrow Jian Yu for a moment? I really want to catch up with him. May I?"

My Mama looks at my father who nodded at me. "I don't see why not. Baba let's let Yu catch up with his former classmate. It looks like they have many things to reminisce about."