Heartbreak Girl

14th of October 2019

"You have to dance with me Arabella," James said as the orchestra began to play one of Beethoven's symphonies.

"No, I don't James."

"Please," he begged. "Our parents are watching and I don't want them to think they came all this way for nothing.

"Well James, they did."

"Fuck you are the most stubborn person I know," James said running his fingers through his messy blonde hair. "Just one dance, please?"

"Fine. But only one," I said as he took my hand and led me to the dance floor. Unfortunately for me, it was one of the longer symphonies that Beethoven had written, meaning that I was going to be dancing with James for a while.

"You look stunning tonight Arabella," James said with a smile as he took my waist, my hands resting firmly on his shoulders.

"Thank you, James."

"My parents have really taken a liking to you," he said as we danced slowly, as Luke stared us down, a glass of red wine in his hand.

Over the last week, I have gotten to know Queen Mary and King William quite well, which lead me to think how they actually made James, since he was an asshole the majority of the time.

"Your parents are lovely, so not sure how they made you," I said with a smirk, before he gently dipped me down, our foreheads becoming dangerously close.

"Jesus Arabella, be ruder why don't you," James said as he pulled me back up, but he was smiling, which made me annoyed for some reason.

"Why are you smiling?" I asked sternly, a frown appearing on my forehead as we continued to slowly waltz, all eyes on us.

"Because you take no shit from me, or anyone really. It's one of the things I love about you."

If I had something in my mouth, I probably would have spat it out due to the comment he just made.

"Love?" I asked quietly, very confused as to how James could possibly be in love with me. As much as I hate being rude and bitchy, I was towards him because I did not want him trying anything with me ever again.

"Yeah, I'm hopelessly in love with you Arabella and I hate it, because there is nothing I can do about it. Everything from the way you walk to the way you belittle me every chance you get, it drives me crazy."

"James please don't," I begged as we continued to dance, but I knew that he was not going to stop talking. Because once he started talking, he could not stop.

"No Arabella, this is the last time I am going to see you in a very long time so let me just say what I need to say. We could be happy together, you and I, and maybe in another life we might be. I know you are in love with Luke, you look at him the same way that I look at you."

"Stop," I begged quietly but James shook his head, his eyes now staring at me with sadness and admiration at the same time.

"I know if you gave us a chance we could be happy. I can give you everything you want, we could be so happy together Arabella and you know it. I adore you and love you more than I have loved anyone or anything in my entire life, and it kills me that you can't just give me a shot. Please."