Dancing On My Own

28th of December 2018

"Do we have to go?" Milla asked me, as all eight of us were currently getting ready in my room for James' birthday tonight.

"What? And risk my mother killing us, I don't think so," I scoffed putting on my pearl earrings as Luke adjusted his pink suit tie. It was James' twentieth birthday, and my mother decided to throw a party for him tonight, requesting all of our attendance.

"Yeah look, I don't really want to go either," Victoria said sitting on Ashton's lap, her short white dress complementing her tanned skin.

"Guys please, we don't have to go for long," I sighed. "But if we don't go at all my mum will be super angry."

"It is true," Milla said supporting my statement, which shut everyone up. Once everybody was ready, we headed upstairs to the ballroom where James's birthday was being held tonight, Luke not letting go of my hand as we entered the room, filled with people I knew and people that he did not.

"You look beautiful, by the way," Luke said kissing my cheek and I blushed, thanking him as I handed him a glass of red wine from the bar, taking my own as we made our way to a table so we could sit down. I spotted James talking to some of my cousins, and avoided eye contact with him as I know that he would want to talk to me, and I did not want to add fuel to the fire that was the tension between him, Luke and myself.

"What are you doing for New Years?" Ashton asked me as we sat down with the rest of everyone.

"I think we are having a party here, Louis and Alice are in Spain for New Year's Eve but get back in the morning," I said.

"When has that ever stopped us?" Milla questioned with a laugh, which made me smile. Last year for New Year's Eve, I was in Switzerland with Milla and we ended up sneaking up and heading into Bern, finding a small pub which some of our school friends were at, and we ended up having the time of our lives. We ultimately paid the consequences for it the next morning as her parents discovered that we were gone, but it was totally worth it.

"What are you guys doing?" Victoria asked, looking at Ashton and hoping that he would say spending it with you. Victoria is such a hopeless romantic, which came as a surprise as she was never one to be like that, but I guess Ashton brings out the absolute best in her.

"Spending it with you guys we assumed," Michael said, with Clara nodding in agreement. 

"Well duh," I said with a laugh, finishing my glass of wine and walking off to get another one from the bar. On my way, I was stopped by a certain British boy that I hoped to avoid for the night.

"Hello Arabella," James said with a smile, which just made me roll my eyes at him and cross my arms.

"James," I said. "Please move."

"Now now now, that is no way to treat the birthday boy is it?" he questioned with a grin and I just rolled my eyes again at him, trying to ignore how childish he was being.

"Happy birthday," I said with a sarcastic grin, and the music suddenly changed to the song 'To Build A Home," by the Cinematic Orchestra.

"May I please have this dance?" James asked out of nowhere and I just shook my head.

"No way."