Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

      “Aw! That’s so cute!”

      “Elle, why the fuck did wake us up?” Nick demanded, turning my attention towards him. He was wearing boxers. Only boxers. His torso was fully exposed, and my heart thumped faster than it should have at the sight of a shirtless boy.

      “Uh… because we have no food,” I said, flustered. My eyes then noticed something about Nick’s appearance that made me smile at how truly rash he can be at times: his arm. He had sprained his wrist, and needed stiches for his hand. He was required to wear an ace bandage around his wrist for the next three to four weeks. Oh Nick…

      “Wait, why are you wearing a guy’s clothes?” John asked, probably seconds away from putting together the pieces.

      “Oh shit. Elle got laid!” Nick accused.

      “No, I didn’t!” I said, as my face became a deep crimson color.

      “That’s her ‘I just got laid’ face,” Nick told John. “She definitely did.”

      “And who are you to access whether I did or didn’t have sexual relations with another individual?” I raged.

      “Elle, if anyone, I think I’d know,” he smirked.

      “Ugh. Let’s just go to the market!” I fumed, crossing my arms over my chest. Note to self: Never return to the condo wearing another’s clothes.

Nick

      “So, how was it?” I asked, not truly wanting the answer. Elle got laid. Damn. Who would’ve ever thought?

      “I’m choosing to not respond to that question,” she said, still pissed. Girls are so confusing sometimes…

      “Oh? Well I’ll call Jake to find out,” I said, testing how mad she really was.

      “I will kill you if you choose to do that,” she threatened. So cute!

      “Oh Elle,” I said, putting my arms over her tattered sweatshirt I assumed belonged to Jake. Though they belonged to someone else, I had to admit, Elle looked pretty hot in boys’ clothes.

      “Stop,” she commanded. I removed my arm, though was confused as to why Elle was the one angry. I was the one who was forced to get up before two on a weekend! I should’ve been furious, though something about Elle’s face made me think otherwise.

      “So, what do we need?” John asked, pushing the cart like the good little housewife he would be one day.

      “Everything,” Elle stated.

      “Shall we start with produce?” I suggested, as fruits and vegetables (most likely all organic) came into view.

      “Whatever,” Elle mumbled, approaching a counter of bananas and throwing a bunch into the cart. I’m no expert, but judging from her behavior, I’d assess that she’s not too happy at the moment. But what do I know? I’m just a guy.

      Being the idiot that I can be at times, I decided to press on the matter, and hope to either get details, or a sense of guilt and regret. “So,” I said, “was he better than me?”

      “Nick!” she said, as red flooded her face.

      “Just wondering,” I said smugly, knowing that it was impossible.

      “No offense,” she said, placing a bundle of asparagus into the cart. Gross. Who the fuck eats asparagus? Really? It’s just going to die in the fridge. Whatever. “But, I don’t really want to discus our former relationship or what we did.”