Chapter Fourty-Four

Ethan's POV

I could feel my heart pounding inside of my chest as I heard her words. My body tensed before I jumped to my feet and ran for the door. Thankfully, I already have my shoes on, so I throw the door open and slam it behind me as I sprint down the street. Just as I'm about to pass Mark's house, he steps out of the gate, his eyes wide in fear as well. "Mark!" I exclaim as I slid to a stop.

"Ethan," He calls back. "Did you see-"

"Yeah, we have to find her! I can't let anything happen to her. I promised I wouldn't!" I yell, my hands raking through my hair in panic.

"Ethan, you need to calm down." Mark states soothingly, but also sternly. I take a deep breath, but my nerves don't settle any. I'm in such a state of disarray. I don't even know what to do.

"Mark, we have find her!" I insist as I grab his shoulders.

"I know, but we don't know how!" Mark shouts back. By now my mind was reeling and felt as if I was going to pass out, or get sick, or both. I quickly open up the live stream again and type a comment.

"I need a hint"

The girl on the screen giggles as she reads this. "Alright, I'll give you a hint." She pauses for a moment. "Winter never reached her destination." She states.

"Fuck, that could be anywhere!" Mark yells. I think for a moment.

"Winter was going down to the sixth and main coffee shop for lunch with a friend. She had to have gotten taken along there. Let's go!" I yell before taking off in the direction that I know she would have gone.

As we're running, I notice something dark with a bleached look to it. It's some sort of cloth. I slow down, picking it up and taking a small sniff, immediately coughing and holding it away. "She was drugged." I cough out as I look down the alley next to me. The dirt along the ground of the filthy path was disturbed. At first it was all kicked around, but as I venture further I see that the ground changed to a set of footsteps and two consistent lines. She was dragged.

In all honesty, I really feel like I'm on one of those crime investigation shows. As I'm walking down and checking for any doors or anything, I notice something at the end of the alley where it stops at a brick wall. There's a staircase to the left. It descends to what looks like some sort of cellar or basement.

I give Mark a wary look, but he follows me down the steep and slick staircase. As we reach the bottom of the stairs, there's a door. A metal door. I reach a shaking hand forward to see if it's unlocked. I turn the handle... And it opens.

Mark and I walk in, our hearts beating heavily and our breathing jagged and staggered. We step into a hallway that extends in two directions, each one lined with steel doors that resemble freezers. That's probably what they are, honestly. We split and each take a hallway, walking to the end and listening through each for any sound. As we reach the end, we see that it turns and extends further, so we follow down our respective paths.

As I press my ear to each and every door in hopes of hearing some sort of sound, I can't help but to wonder if Winter is even alive. Or how long it's taken me. It must have been at least fifteen minutes! My heart beats faster as I press my ear to one if the center doors, hearing a quiet sob echo from it and a giggle.

My breathing stops as I hear this and I take a step back. I notice a latch on the door and I reach a shaking hand out to grasp the metal and pull it down, yanking the door open. Both girl's heads snap to me with wide eyes.

"Ethan," Winter whispers, her arms now covered in scratches and lacerations too.

"Ethan!" The other girl exclaims. "You came! You came! Do come in now, I'd like the word to see your confession." She giggles as she grasps my wrist tightly and pulls me inside the room. She's stronger than she looks and she's obviously not sane.

"What do you want?" I ask, my voice shaking slightly in fear. Not fear for myself, but fear for Winter. She had been humiliated, hurt and used. I'm terrified to see what might happen to her if I say the wrong thing.

"What do I want!?" Sarah answers with a scoff and a hysterical laugh. "It's obvious! I want you to tell the whole world that you hate Winter and you love me." She begins to move, quickly grasping Winter's hair and holding the scissors to her throat. "And if you don't," She giggles. "I'll kill your little lover here."

My breathing stops. I'm at a loss for words. I have to think quick. All those years of acting and improv need to come into play now. I have to save Winter.

"You're right, y'know." I put on a confident and almost arrogant smile.

"About what?" Sarah asks.

"You were right about me not loving Winter. In fact, I hate her!" I laugh as I approach Sarah slowly. Her expression slowly changes with every word. "You see, it is you that I love. I've seen you around before. At conventions, in town, on the internet.... You're far more beautiful than Winter could ever hope to be." Her expression was now suited with a smile.

"Do you mean it!?" She exclaims. I take a glance to the confused Winter, but I don't drop the facade for even a moment. She looked hurt, betrayed. And though I so desperately want to hold her and tell her it's okay, I have to stay strong. Just a little bit longer.

"Of course I do." I scoff at Sarah. "You're the one I love." She drops the scissors at these words and the moment she does, I push her against the wall, holding her in place. "MARK!!" I yell. He comes rushing in. "Hold her. I'm getting Winter out of here."

"You lied to me, you bitch! You fucking lied! I'll kill you! I'll kill every last of your ugly ass friends!" Sarah screams as Mark holds her in place. Her screaming continues, but I block it out. I run to Winter, quickly bending down before her and untying the ropes.

"I'm so sorry, Winter. I didn't mean any of it. I promise. I had to tell her what she wanted and if I didn't, she would have killed you. I'm so so sorry." I begin to cry.

"Ethan, d-don't cry. It's okay. I-I would have done the same." Winter reassures me. I get her feet undone first and then her wrists. The moment she's free, I pull her into my embrace as we cry.

Soon after, I call the police and let them know that the situation is under control and tell them where we are. They come, arrest Sarah for attempted murder and assault, ask us all questions, then we're free to go. Well, first Winter had to get some stitches and got patched up as she sat on the floor of the ambulance. Her injuries were minor except for a few lacerations on her arms. She had to get stitches on those. Twenty-three total.

I quickly walk Winter home in silence, her wrapped up in a shock blanket and my arm around her. When we step inside and close the door, we both break down into tears again in each other's embrace.