Chapter Twenty-Two

Ethan's POV

Have you ever had your heart broken before? I can assure you this was worse. Hearing those words... I could physically feel the pain in my chest from my heart breaking... I stand silent for a moment, trying to fight the tears and trying not to make a scene, but I can't just stand here.

I turn on my heels and very calmly walk towards the front door, but the moment I'm outside I run. I don't know where I'm running, not home I can assure you. I don't look back, I don't stop running, I don't think. The tears blur my vision, my line of sight obstructed as I push forward. I see a small alleyway and dive in, pressing myself against the wall.

I slowly slide down the bricks, the tears now overflowing. I can't hold them back. I don't know why I'm so upset, we weren't even together. Am I actually in love with her? I'm not sure I want to fall in love with anyone. I especially don't want to fall in love if it hurts this bad.

It's just not fair! It's not fair to her, it's not fair to me and it's not fair to everyone that knows that we like each other. It's just so much pain, so many complications. I don't understand my feelings. I don't understand what I'm trying to understand. That's the most frustrating thing.

Almost the most frustrating.

The most frustrating is Winter. I'm hurt, I'm upset, but most of all... I'm pissed off. How could she just suddenly betray me!? She's kissed me, told me she loved me, cuddled me every night for weeks! How the hell am I supposed to face her now? It just doesn't make any sense on why she would do this to me.

Does she not feel the same way?

She must not. She said yes to him. She didn't even flinch either. She just said yes as if it was no big deal. She said yes like a relationship isn't a big deal, like nothing could be done about it and that she didn't care. Does she not care? Does she not care about me? Does she not want a relationship with me?

Why are girls so complicated!?

I feel a hand on my shoulder and look up to see Mark. A sympathetic smile tugs at his lips as he sits down next to me with a sigh. "I tried to get her to say no." He explains. I nod, words seeming to not exist for me. My vocal chords seem to almost be broken or something. "I honestly can't tell you why she said yes." He adds. I can tell that Mark is almost, if not as, upset about this I am. He wraps an arm around me and pulls me against his side as I cry. "The reason she was at my house this morning was because she wanted some moral support before she asked you out." I shoot up straight.

"Wh-what!?" I exclaim. It seems that my voice is working again.

"She was going to ask you out." Mark repeats. "I have no doubt that's what she pulled you to the side for in the first place." He states.

"Then why did she say yes!?" I yell as more tears stream down my face.

"I have no idea, Ethan." Mark sighs again. "I honestly don't." He replies as he shakes his head. "I was motioning for her to say no and she always listens to me. I don't know what she was thinking back there, Ethan." Mark scowls in the direction that we came from

"So," I begin. "Does this mean that she doesn't actually like him?" I ask as my voice breaks.

"I'm not sure." Mark shrugs. "I sure hope so."