Chapter Thirty-Three

Winter's POV

My head shoots up to where I'm met with the cold and unfeeling grey of eyes of the man I once claimed to love.

"Bad idea to leave the house all alone, Winter. Someone might hurt you... Or kidnap you." He chuckles.

"K-Kyle, what the hell are you doing here!?" I gasp, quickly scrambling to my feet.

Ethan's POV - A few minutes ago

I pull out my phone, an uneasy feeling in my stomach as I begin to text Mark and Tyler.

Me: Hey, I need you guys to follow Winter. Something's not right.

Mark: Is she okay?

Tyler: What's going on?

Me: I'm not sure, but I think she's in trouble.

Tyler: Of course we'll help.

Mark: She literally just passed my house. Tyler and I are gonna go after she gets a little past.

Me: Thank you guys. Text me if anything happens.

I begin to pace across the room, my breathing uneven and my hands tangling in my hair. Why do I feel like something really bad is about to happen to Winter? Why do I have this feeling that she's going to get hurt if she's alone out there? I have to help her.

Winter's POV - Present

My heart rate quickens and my breathing becomes jagged and heavy with fear. Kyle chuckles at my confused and scared state. "Really, Winter. You must be more careful." I was too afraid to move from my spot, Kyle approaching me and resting his hands on my hips. "So tell me, Win, are you going to come through on your promise?" At this point I came to my senses and pushed him away.

"Don't touch me, Kyle." I glare at the man. I knew exactly what he was talking about, but I was not going to give him the satisfaction of knowing that I did. I take a step back, looking for an opening. His eyes narrow in anger.

"I was being nice, don't make me force you." Kyle growls. My chest heaved with every breath, my heart pounding in my ears and my hands shaking.

"Kyle, you no longer control me." I reply, using the words to convince myself as well. A sickening smirk rises to Kyle's lips as he steps closer yet. I see my opening... And I take it. I push him out of the way and make a run for it, screaming for help as he runs after me. Unfortunately the beach was empty.

Mark's POV

As Tyler and I walk in the direction we saw Winter go, we all of a sudden hear a shriek and cries for help. We begin to run and soon see Winter sprinting across the beach with a man following after her.

Winter's POV

I continue to scream and plead for help, but soon Kyle catches up and pushes me to the ground. "No one's around to hear you scream, Win. Maybe I'll get the revenge I deserve." He chuckles. I never stop screaming though.

I felt his hands on my body and no matter how hard I fought, I couldn't get him to stop. This is it....

"HEY!" A deep voice yells. "Leave her alone!" My eyes snap open as I recognize Tyler's voice.

"Please! Help me!" I yell. Kyle growls and smacks me.

"Shut up!" He screams. I feel a hot and thick liquid running down my cheek from where he hit me. I was bleeding.

"Get your hands off her!" I recognize Mark's voice as well. All of a sudden Kyle is yanked off of me and I quickly scramble to get away. Mark rushes to me and helps me up while Tyler beats the shit out of Kyle. "Are you okay, Winter?" Mark asks as he pulls me away from the scene. I shake my head, tears streaming down my cheeks as well as the blood on my right cheek. Mark pulls me into his arms and rubs my back soothingly. "It's okay. It's over now."

"H-h-he was go-oing t-to-" I can't even finish. My sentence before collapsing and leaning my full body weight against him.

"I know. I know. It's okay now, we're not gonna let anything happen to you." Mark whispers as he holds me protectively. I continue to sob, my body shaking in fear. It's been years since I've seen Kyle. Why is he here? Is it to get payback for leaving him? Is he jealous because I'm with Ethan?

Whatever it was, I don't think he'll ever come back again. Soon Tyler walks over to the two of us, his knuckles bloody and breathing heavier than before. "It's okay, Winter. He got the message." Tyler states. I nod and stay hidden in Mark's chest.

"Do you want me to carry you home?" Mark asks quietly. I nod again. "Get on my back." He adds. I pull away some and climb on his back, my arms resting over his shoulders and my legs wrapping around his waist. He holds me in place as we begin to walk home, my silent tears wetting the back of Mark's shirt, though I don't think he cares.

If anything... I'm more worried about having to explain to Ethan what happened between Kyle and I years ago...